We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

Hi there,

I have a free day in Yangon tomorrow before fly back home. I've tried some Burmese traditional food during the trip but didnt enjoy the curry flavour much. I'm looking for a nice restaurant with charming decor and some Western food. Any suggestion?

Thank you very much

Manny

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,800 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

Le Planteur is exceptional and cosmopolitan. The Strand Grill is also an oasis. Monsoon has local dishes, but also many from elsewhere throughout South-East Asia.

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
829 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

The Feel Restaurant does not have a good decoration but it exposes a very good, traditional cuisine of Burma.

Governor Residence Resort also offers some of the best dishes from Burma in their restaurant for your references.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

You might try Green Elephant...very good food and lovely decor plus a home decor shop....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

We were in Yangon this past January. I think you might like Signature Restaurant, which isn't too far from Shwedagon Pagoda.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,701 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

Try the Monsoon. I had a wonderful lunch there and highly recommend it.

facebook.com/pages/…215941791813872

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
125 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

I thought Monsoon was so-so. The menu was absolutely huge. Be forewarned - Le Planteur has a set menu at $78 and a la carte main courses are 30-64 USD.

You might try the Mandalay Restaurant at Governor's Residence. The only western type meal we had our whole trip we had there at lunch and it was delicious.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
38 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

Try the new Union Bar & Grill opened a couple of weeks ago at 42 Strand Road on the corner of the Red Cross Building. Clean design, western food and foreign managed.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

Wow, thank you all it's great to be recommended a lot of nice restaurants, think I will choose Mandalay Restaurant or Union Bar & Grill for this lunch as we really miss western type dishes. Hope they are not too far from my hotel, I stay in Strand Hotel now..???

Manny

Edited: 10:39 pm, April 16, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

I think you would also really like Signature Restaurant, which has nice decor. You can eat indoors or outdoors. You can find lots of Western dishes in addition to Burmese.

Another place you might like is 50th Street Bar and Grill. This is where most of the expats hang out and there are Western dishes here, pool table, etc.

Signature is fancy, 50th Street Bar and Grill is just like the name implies.

10. Re: Any suggestion for a nice restaurant in Yangon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 19, 2014