We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burma; Bike Tours!

NYC
5 posts
Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

Hello!

I am planning to be with an organized bike trip for most of my visit. I am considering a few different companies: Backroads, Spice Roads, and Grasshopper. Anyone have any feedback/experiences with these companies? Backroads is about $2000 more expensive than the other two trips and is 5 days shorter, but seems more upscale and established. Spice Roads and Grasshopper seem to have almost identical 13 day trips but I have found only a few reviews for those trips. I'd love to hear if anyone has had experiences with those companies and/or with other companies!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
129 helpful votes
1. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

When you go, bring some of those disposable face masks. I saw several people attempting to cycle the dusty, exhaust-filled roads there (not all are like that but on some of the roads it can get pretty bad), and I was often choking on diesel fumes just going by in a car!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region, Indonesia
Level Contributor
15,944 posts
125 reviews
144 helpful votes
2. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

Wow! The Backroads trip comes out to over $600 USD per day...incredible price and I can't imagine it's that much better, considering that any tour company will have to use local guides and use the same basic roads. Maybe the extra price is for the 1-800 number? :(

Seriously, I think you should ask some specific question of each tour operator you are considering...photos of the bikes and helmets too, who are the guides and how many years have they been touring Myanmar. How many miles a day will you be biking? What hotels are they using? Just the hotels alone could make a several hundred dollar a day "swing" in the price of the tour. If I were paying over $600 a day I would expect to stay in the Governor's Mansion every night! (not that I would stay there myself)

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
129 helpful votes
3. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

Ditto above...

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
56 posts
127 reviews
72 helpful votes
4. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

I am in Burma now. The air quality is very poor even in the country side due to the dust, diesel fuel, and funny looking trucks called "Chinese Buffalo" which spew thick black smoke from the exhaust. I was nauseous frequently in the car even with the windows shut and air conditioning on. You will need more than a dust mask, you will need a chemical respirator.

NYC
5 posts
5. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

Thank you for all of your suggestions, much appreciated! I just found two more companies and would also love to hear feedback about them as I can not find any reviews!

1) World Expeditions (specifically the Cycle Burma tour)

2) Explore! (also Cycle Burma tour)

Thanks again to all :-)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
56 posts
127 reviews
72 helpful votes
6. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

Just wondering, being a cyclist myself, the roads are very bad and I could not imagine riding a road bike on any roads. Are these tours off road? Have you thought of asking these companies to supply you with references from "happy customers"?

Just thinking .... Good luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
230 reviews
272 helpful votes
7. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

I am just back from a bike tour in Burma (Exodus: http://www.exodus.co.uk/holidays/mob/overview) and have a few points that may be useful:

1. We used mountain bikes. Necessary - I wouldn't use a road bike unless sticking to the main highways.

2. It is extremely hot, so for much of the year you'll probably want to do your cycling in the early morning.

3. The main roads used for buses and cars described in previous posts are not the same roads on which you will likely cycle if you're on a cycle tour. We cycled mainly on quiet country roads and paths for most of our two week trip. There were usually very few cars/buses (perhaps one every 20 minutes, and without exception very respectful of cyclists, but in terms of who was on our roads, mostly we encountered little motorbikes, local cyclists, and many carts driven by water buffalo).

4. Where we cycled, the air was absolutely fine (well, other than being humid), without smog or anything like that, unless we were cycling into the cities, like Mandalay, or right next to a sugar cane farm. No concerns at all about the air quality from us.

5. The road surfaces on country roads were variable but mostly fine for a mountain bike - and we came across numerous work teams laying new tar roads over gravelly roads as we cycled, so they will soon be even better.

So I suggest you don't be completely put off by concerns raised about the air quality or traffic (it was more the temperatures and the hills that worried me!).

PS I believe our Exodus trip was operated by Spice Roads

Edited: 9 years ago
New South Wales...
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
215 reviews
152 helpful votes
8. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

Amy, who did you decide to go with. Can't believe how expensive they are? I have done a couple of short tours with green grasshopper in Cambodia and they were excellent

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

Hi Amy, my husband and I are cycling independently around Burma from mid December. When do you plan to go?

Anita

Kirkland, Washington
3 posts
10. Re: Burma; Bike Tours!
Save

A few questions about cycling there this October. I'm in a tour but want to cycle solo from either Inle Lake to Yangon or from Bagan to Yangon. I will take a bus from Yangon there. I need a quality bike to rent in the Yangon area. Is that even possible or will I have to be in a tour? I'm willing to pay for an individual to sag. Which route is better for accommodations and traffic? I plan to ride 80 miles/day, starting at sunrise to beat heat and traffic. Thanks for any advice.

© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.