We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

I just wanted to post some up to date information about getting a visa for Burma (Myanmar) in Kuala Lumpur. I hold a British Passport and do not live in Kuala Lumpur, I am just travelling through for the week.

Getting a Myanmar visa in KL was incredibly easy. The address of the embassy is No 8 (C), Jalan Ampang Hilir, 55000, Kuala Lumpur. The closest train stop is Ampang Park on the Kelana Jaya Line. It is about a 15 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride (cost about 3.60 MYR) to the Embassy. The phone numbers are +60342516355 or +60342515595.

Visa submission times are Monday to Friday 09:30 - 12:30 and collection times are Monday to Friday 16:00 - 17:00.

I applied for my visa at about 11:00 on Monday and picked it up at 16:00 on Tuesday. They provide the forms at the embassy. For a tourist visa you need:

Passport with 6 months validity

2 passport photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm), preferably with a white background (mine was grey and they gave me the visa but they did ask why it wasn't white - so try to get one with a white background). You can get photos at Ampang Park (NB the shops here generally open after 9:30)

Tourist visa application form (you can get this when you arrive at the embassy)

Photocopy of the bio data page in your passport

Return air ticket/travel itinerary (I think that you only need this if you are applying for the urgent service)

Normal service (3 working days) costs 80 MYR

Urgent service (1 working day) costs 150 MYR (for this you need a return air ticket)

Here are photos of the board in the embassy with documents needed to get each type of visa (tourist, business, multiple entry, religious (meditation) and social visit).

Business and Multiple entry:

https:/…

Tourist, religious (meditation) and social visit.

https:/…

When you first arrive at the embassy it all seems pretty confusing, there are lots of people around and there appear to be no signs in English. But actually it was so easy - one of the easiest visa application processes I have ever done. Almost directly opposite the gate on the other side of the courtyard is a little section with a table and chairs and two windows in the wall with a sign above saying "visa section" (this appears hidden when you first arrive!), you pick up your form from the window on the left then queue up (only took 10-15 mins when we were there) and hand your passport and papers into the window on the right.

Any questions feel free to send me a message!

Could this post be made a sticky?

1. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:32 am, May 30, 2012
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

Now in Top Questions.

George Town...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

Update (November 2012): there is no longer a distinction between normal and express service at the Myanmar embassy in Kuala Lumpur. Everyone can now get their visa on the next working day, and in exceptional cases even same-day pick-up is approved. We paid the new standard fee of 110 Ringgit.

Also, in theory, you'll have to queue twice, once to get the form, then again to hand it in. If you arrive by the time people are already handing their forms in you can skip the first wait by asking someone in the front of the queue to ask for a form; no one will mind that.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

Very helpful post, thank you.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

Is there a website link that I can down load the form to fill up first as I am living outside KL. Please advise. Thanks

Klang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
25 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

Thanks. Is that advice / cost for Nationals of all countries? I will be travelling with some Malaysians. Do they also need to apply for Visas (ASEAN member country)?

Kuala Lumpur
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

malaysian needs visa too, no exception.

the visa application fee has increased. i applied mine during early nov, and the fee was RM110.

Klang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
25 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

Shin-yip, thanks so much. Now we can all go in together. BTW, do you also know where in KL I can get new USD currency notes?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

They now tend to ask people to make their own photocopy of the form - saying that they're finished (not true ...).

Photocopy is 20sen and can be done next to the office -- just make sure someone can "save" your place in the queue.

Klang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
25 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Information - Myanmar Visa in Kuala Lumpur

That's new. We actually got our visas at the end of December and are currently having a wonderful time in Myanmar. Just note that when you go back to collect your passport tomorrow, there is only one queue for collection, so line up at the right and stare fiercely at anyone who queues on the left and tried to push in at the front of the line. Enjoy your trip.