We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

Sondrio, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
79 reviews
51 helpful votes
Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

I'm planning to visit Myanmar in February/March 2012. I'm a solo traveller and I'm contacting local travel agency for a 2 weeks trip (Bagan-Mandalay-Inle Lake). Any feedback about Myanmar Shalom Travels and Myanmar Diaries? I'd like to spend some days visiting local villages: is Keng Tung area (Hill tribes villages) worth a visit or Kalaw trekking is better?

Thank you

Carlo

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
18,230 posts
423 reviews
1,157 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

Generally good reports on Shalom - try using the spyglass search feature above for recent comments.

yangon
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

If you have time go to KyeingTong much better then kalaw.

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
3. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

http://www.seat61.com/Burma.htm

here is the link for u

some visitors who wanna visit Kalaw , they go by train

myanmartourex.com/myanmar_tours_packages/bgt…

here is the link if u gonna use Bus

regards

Edited: 10:59 pm, November 28, 2011
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

I just started planning Myanmar in October 2012. I would like to hear about your final travel company selection and any advice.

Howard

Melbourne
Level Contributor
287 posts
155 reviews
145 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

Myanmar is incredibly busy during this period and we had a lot of trouble getting hotels rooms & cabins on the boat . I would not leave it much longer to book. I used Tour Mandalay and of the 4 travel agents I contacted they responded the quickest (2 did not even reply). 47 emails later we are now done!!

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
6. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

The trick with travel in Myanmar is to avoid Military controlled tourist organisations and venues

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
46 reviews
62 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

I agree with Leer from Melbourne: Tour Mandalay is top-notch. You can even feel confident wiring your money for a deposit ahead of time. And, however hard it may be for you to book your own hotel online, the local tour agents seem to have little problem booking the hotels you want. I suspect very few room are available to the usual companies, e.g., Expedia or Travelocity. Also, interest in Myanmar is really picking up right now. This is a wonderful country to visit.

London
Level Contributor
173 posts
43 reviews
54 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

I would recommend MYANMAR SHALOM - I've been using them and the guy is consistenly good with prices ( compared to others), always rearrange my itinerary when I change my mind and always responds in a timely manner. He gave me the best quote for my itinerary including flights, hotels, taxis, tour guides and I had asked the same quote to another 5 companies- so there you go.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
9. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

I'll be going to Myanmar solo in Feb/March as well. Just now starting some research and looking to do a trip that is not backpacker tier, but as inexpensive as I can do without suffering. Any suggestions welcome for a week-long journey.

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
10. Re: Trip to Myanmar - February 2012

thx all for loving Myanmar , welcome u all

if u go alone , cost will much higher than visit with other partners

sharing is good