We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

Recently returned from 3 weeks in Myanmar. We spent time in some fairly unusual places for travelers -- by road from Mrauk U to Ann to Shwe Settaw to Kazunma to Saw to Mindat. We came across multiple local festivals; wandered into villages that rarely (likely never) had western visitors; slept in a monastery local guesthouses, a nearly stone age village; and generally had an amazing trip. It required government permissions and a guide. We used Mr. Saw and Mutu of Tours Myanmar and we HIGHLY recommend them. They really understand getting “off the beaten path” and going to unusual places. This is a trip where having a guide was valuable (in addition to being required) – we learned so much from Mutu about the people, land, environment, food, etc. saww.myanmar@googlemail.com www.toursmyanmar.com

Happy to provide more information if you want.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

there is a feeling of self-promoted in this post

2. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, April 02, 2011
Edited: 1:05 pm, April 02, 2011
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
410 reviews
3. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

It is now looking even more suspicious. Let buyers be aware.

No doubt a succession of one time posters will now post glowing reviews.

When the OP&poster2 submit hotel and itinerary reviews,travel map pins and a personal profile I will eat humble pie - and my hat !!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
410 reviews
4. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

I am in the process of deciding what to eat with my cooked hat.

As the OP and poster no.2 are quite genuine travellers I thought to compliment them by cooking my hat with either Dungeness crab and Oregon salmon sauce OR Belgian frits with mayo.

I gather itineraries and reviews are to follow.

Edited: 8:26 am, April 10, 2011
West Yorks
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

Sounds absolutely delicious!

But may I suggest you put it on a really slow cooker as I'm still not convinced.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
410 reviews
6. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

I have asked Mrs SS to make me one out of pasta as my Myanmar palmleaf "coolie" hat has too many wires holding it together to make it edible!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,142 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

Click on "Report inappropriate content" and report advertising/self promotion and it will be deleted.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
410 reviews
8. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

Maneki.

Sorry but I think you may have misinterpreted what has been going on.

They are genuine posts and one was deleted as it was suspicious but it was genuine, just worded like an advertorial, but English was not their first language- we are trying to get it reinstated as it was genuine (I have been exchanging pm's with both posters)

Edited: 7:27 am, April 11, 2011
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,142 posts
92 reviews
9. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

I guess I missed the legitimate posting then.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Off the Beaten Path in Myanmar

(This is a more detailed review than a previous post.)

I recently spent 3 weeks in Myanmar, much of which was quite off the beaten path and fascinating. I’ll focus on those parts since you can find plenty of information elsewhere about Yangon, Sittwe, Mrauk U and Bagan.

We had arranged our trip in advance via email. Initially, we contacted several travel agents/guides. Only one seemed to understand our interest in getting as far away from the tourist circuit as we could. Our guides had to get written government approval (not an easy process), and they carried copies of the approval letter throughout our trip and had to present it in every village we stayed in. They are NOT government guides. They did an excellent job, and if you’re looking for an unusual itinerary, I highly recommend them. Contacts are at bottom of this posting.

Our guide met us in Mrauk U with a Jeep, and we set off by road. The first day we drove to Ann, in the western Chin Hills. The drive was fascinating. We drove through a Rohinga village, stopped in two Chin villages and visited several houses. All had seen Westerners only rarely. We stayed in the only guesthouse in Ann; very simple and only locals there. Next day a long drive through the southern Chin hills. Road under construction so again very dusty. Fascinating to go from sea level to 2,000 meters and see the changes of environment.

We spent the next two days in Shwe Settaw on the east side of the Chin hills in Magwe district. There is a festival there each year for 3 months. All Burmese; no outsiders. Everyone stays in bamboo huts along a clear, shallow river. Very simple but pleasant. It’s like a country fair – stalls, small restaurants, and of course a huge temple. Interesting insight into how Burmese live. Delicious food again, and different from Rakhine. We rode bikes to a village and ended up in a large festival celebration for the local head monk complete with chanting, praying, and traditional band. They were astounded to see us

We headed north to Kazunma. Our guide was willing to stop everywhere when we had a question, so we visited several villages in Magwe district and walked around looking at crops, animals, houses, etc. eating tamarind and dried plums. We then stumbled into a novitiation ceremony (admitting young monks into the monastery) that had the entire village involved, complete with tremendous costumes, horses, feast, and a traditional band. Spent time in the local monastery, too

We then passed through Saw and up to Mt. Victoria. Would have been nice to stay in Saw, but our travel permit allegedly did not authorize us to sleep in that town, so the local officials made us move on. Stayed at the fancy Mountain Oasis Resort and hiked and biked. The food was much more interesting down in the village, Kanpalet, and again it was different from what we’d had before and delicious.

Off to Mindat. Stayed in the local guesthouse then trekked to a Chin village for an overnight. Very primitive. (I lived in Africa for years, and this was more primitive than much of rural Africa.) We returned to Mindat on the day of a major regional festival. All the surrounding sub-groups of the Chin tribe were gathered, wearing traditional clothing. The night was spent watching traditional dancing and music and drinking rice wine.From there we headed to Bagan and back onto the beaten path.

The trip was phenomenal. From stone age village to the luxury of the Bagan Hotel. It could only be done with a guide and a vehicle, and having a guide (I have always gone solo before) was so valuable for learning about the culture, environment, history, etc. One of the greatest things was that our guide always asked people to prepare food that was special to their area, so we tasted things we never could have gotten on our own. We did not encounter any other agents/guides who could do a trip like this, hence my high recommendation for our guides Mr. Saw and Mutu. Their contacts are: saww.myanmar@googlemail.com and www.toursmyanmar.com If you would like more information or a link to our pictures (will be posted soon), please contact me. I’d love to share more.

(I apologize for my earlier post which sounded like an advertisement. I am a newbie to posting here.)