We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JJ Express Vs other express lines

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
16 helpful votes
JJ Express Vs other express lines

Since I have came back from the State, I have been going around the country always using JJ Express. I have friends from US visited me and they all are impressed with JJ Express. I have taken granted for their service and didn't think of much of them until one day when I have to take another Express line because JJ Express does not run buses to that city. It was a horrible experiences. I don't want to name the lines but let's just call it X1 Express (because I will be talking about X2 Express next!)

I have bought the X1 Express VIP ticket for the trip with 2x1 seating like JJ Express. I got near the front row. There is a bus attendant girl just like on JJ Express but all the similarity ends there. Let's not even talk about how disorganize she gives snack away because there are way more other serious stuff to talk about.

What I have first notice is that, from the beginning of leaving the Aungmingalar car park, the bus driver honk a lot to warn the other vehicles/pedestrians of the speeding bus way in advanced and they have a very loud honk too. I was telling myself that it was only that beginning part and it should be Ok later.

Oh, have I mentioned that the bus attendant never announce anything about the trip whatsoever neither in English nor Myanmar? No welcoming on board? That's cool. I still can take no announcement. But the constant loud honking is started getting on the nerve tho. The bus driver, the bus attendant girl and the helper boy are sitting at the front chatting. The bus also is playing the Myanmar pop song. I am ok with that because the sun has not gone down yet and I can enjoy Myanmar pop song. I notice that the bus driver is chewing the betel nut and spitting the red saliva into the empty water bottle. I am also cool with that being raised in Myanmar and familiar with the betel nut chewing culture.

After the first stop at the '115 mile rest camp', I started trying to fall asleep since the sun has also gone down. The bus crew keep going on like before : chatting and playing Myanmar pop song. I have also notice that bus driver is smoking! SMOKING!!!! WTF!!!! There is Myanmar pop song playing and yet the bus driver has a headset over his head! He is also making conversation with his crew teasing them saying that the helper boy is falling for the bus attendant girl and their conversation is heard throughout the bus!

It is not midnight yet and I know that I cannot fall asleep so I have put up with the crew flirtatious conversation and Myanmar pop song. I am on the opposite side of the bus driver and being near the front, I don't mentioned anything about the bus driver smoking. However as I later seriously trying to sleep, the non stop Myanmar pop music is preventing me from falling asleep. I asked the bus attendant girl to stop the music. She stopped the music. About 30 minutes later when I am dozing in and out of sleep, they play the music again! I asked the bus attendant girl to stop the music again and she is having a conversation with the bus driver about the music while I close my eyes trying to sleep. The girl came back to me calling me "hey passenger, passenger" (she calls me 'passenger' literally!!!). She said that the bus driver (who is smoking with the headset) needs the music not to fall asleep and if I cannot bear it, I can go to the rear end of the bus. Not wanting to make a fuss and not wanting to drive a way sleepiness, I get up to go to the back. The bus driver made a stern comment "traveling is like that." as if I have never travelled before at night on the bus. In my head, I talk back "it is never like that on JJ Express!"

On the return trip, I didn't take the X1 Express again instead I take X2 Express. I also take VIP for the X2 Express. The seats are 2x1 configuration but this VIP line does not have bus attendant! So no more bus crew flirtatious conversation then! Other than not having the Bus attendant, the bus crew is more civilized (am I using the word 'civilized'?) The bus does not have a loud honk (nor power outlet for charging the phone) and they don't drive as reckless as the other X1 Express. Only other complaints are the cheap snack, not allowing me to put one of my backpack in the bottom luggage compartment(I have two big backpacks: cameras and clothes. So I have two large backpacks sitting near my feet in my seat. I am cool having traveling experience. I can manage that much.), cutting power to the in seat entertainment system the next day only playing Myanmar pop MTV on in bus entertainment system, not having the Ferry service in Yangon. I mean, X2 Express is way better than X1 express comparing what I have experienced!

Aungmingalar car park has a lot more Express lines, for me, I have sampled the quality enough and I will be sticking with JJ Express even more. If JJ Express does not operate for the trip like this one... well, tough luck for me, I guess.

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
1. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

Seems like a very long winded and boring way to go about touting something !

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
424 reviews
1,176 helpful votes
2. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

Chris

I agree-most peculiar

SS

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

Wishing you not to ever have a stark horrible experience to the point of pent up frustration to write them up and to always have a rosy experience in your life.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
424 reviews
1,176 helpful votes
4. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

wmhet

Perhaps you should have posted this as a review in the correct place,not as a forum post

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

SS

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

Silverswimmer,

Thanks. I guess, looking back, the experience has led me to write up the detail a bit much. Then again, I probably tends to write a bit much using the forum as a blog site.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29423…

After all, Tripadvisor is a place to record your experience anyway...

An English destination expert for Myanmar? Wow, cool!

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
9,483 posts
558 reviews
221 helpful votes
6. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

I used JJ Express three times and agree that they are excellent

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

It seems that I am not the only one finding out about other bus lines.

https:/…58329268

He/She summarized way better than my_writer_wanna_be_writting getting to the point that other Express line just sucks.

So I know now that I don't have to take that Express line also. That Express line and X1 (which I don't want to name) are supposed to be major Express line along side JJ Express.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
424 reviews
1,176 helpful votes
8. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

That link was to a closed thread started in 2013-many things,including the Myanmar Government never mind private bus companies ,have changed since then...

SS

And some posters are now in long trousers

(-:

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

Well, if that post is from 2013 and it is saying the same thing in essence as my noble-literature-award-aiming comparison about JJ Express and other express line. The conclusion is obvious :

1. JJ Express service has been consistently good all these years (what an operation in a country like Burma!)

2. Other Express lines have been consistently suck all these years. (I can't believe that they never look up to JJ Express to improve. I guess, they make business on the local travelers who are used to chaos and the mess.)

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
16 helpful votes
10. Re: JJ Express Vs other express lines

The post from 2013 about comparison between JJ Express and other express line is not much different from my post on JJ Express and other express line of 2018 in essence but the writing style only. Go figure the consistency of the services of JJ Express and other express lines.

Reply to: JJ Express Vs other express lines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted