We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Wellington, New...
5 posts
Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Hi. Looking for the latest update on exiting Myanmar through Tamu in the North (into India). We will be entering at Myanmar at Myawaddy in the South. Is it true that you must enter and exit through the same border crossing? Or it is possible to get around this if you are on a tour?

83 replies to this topic
Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
6 reviews
11. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Nope, not possible. Exit by Tamu / Moreh only posiible if you have entered there.

Marseille, France
2 posts
12. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Thanks

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
13. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Thank you for your answers! I will then choose one of the few direct-flights from Gaya or Kolkota to Yangon...

Chris

Ireland, Indiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
14. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Looking forward to it happening in a near future: http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/asia/8604. I have always dreamt of making a trip on foot through these countries.

6 posts
15. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Aheibam Homestay a perfect place to stay after Border Crossing at Tamu moreh and Staying at Imphal

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
11 reviews
16. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

I intend to enter Myanmar from Manipur by the Moreh-Tamu border this summer, returning by the same crossing three or four weeks later. I would be grateful for any practical advice including details about official requirements in both directions.

Also, one traveller I met in India a couple of years ago, now in Myanmar, has told me that he thought the border crossing was recently temporarily closed. Is there any truth in this? If so, do we know why it was closed?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
17. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

I heard that the government has been consdering opening the border between India and Myanmar, is that correct? I have visited Myanmar once but would like to enter it on foot and visit the area along Myanmar-India border - heard the guide from my last trip say that it was beautiful and definitely untouched. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
11 reviews
18. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

It is already possible to cross the border between Manipur in India and Myanmar, cahirclark. This is the Moreh - Tamu crossing. It sounds as though we are interested in making the same journey. My question in post #16 is about the practicalities.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
18 reviews
19. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

it has been possible since approx 3 years ago...BUT the problem the last 9 months or so, is that you could now only get the required MTT permit to enter at Tamu if you also EXIT there...

Alan - you obviously will need a double entry India Visa...you don't need any permit for Manipur...you need MTT permit to enter and exit at Tamu-Moreh crossing. You need Myanmar Visa in your passport before you get to Tamu. Try Exotic Myanmar, or 7 Diamond, as they are the main 2 companies that were arranging the MTT permits earlier on, when it was easier and you could enter OR exit there...

Luton, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
11 reviews
20. Re: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing

Thank you very much for your answer, Dave n. This all sounds very manageable. I'll organise all my visas before I leave England. I then hope to organise my MTT permit with the help of Naga friends who have their own travel companies as I pass through north-east India.

Reply to: Myanmar (Tamu) - India (Moreh) border crossing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted