We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The weather….what else would a Brit ask about!

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
The weather….what else would a Brit ask about!

Hi all

We are coming from the UK to see a great friend who is living in Port Vila. Our dates are fixed, 5th Nov to 16th Nov and flights have been booked. Almost every site I search for gives different advice on what the weather is like in November with some saying it's a good time to visit with the seasonal change in December whereas others say that the good weather changes in October. I know it's tropical and it could rain any time but are we going to have reasonable days? Any locals or seasoned visitors views greatly appreciated.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The weather….what else would a Brit ask about!

This is the local weather service (the only accurate one I think!) http://www.meteo.gov.vu

This the the live webcam link so you can see the weather for yourself as it gets closer to your trip (a few are down at the moment but keep scrolling toward the bottom and click on one) http://www.telsatbb.vu/public_cams.aspx

It will be a shock to the system coming over from UK in winter! It will be humid, around 30C so don't bring coats! Just a light jacket for evenings and shorts/skirts and light loose shirts and dresses (avoid sweaty synthetic fabrics)! What you don't have you can buy in PV cheaply anyway.

As you say, tropical weather is unpredictable but during your 10 days you will surely have some perfect days and a few wet ones. But as its always warm it shouldn't stop you doing anything. It can rain for 5 minutes or 5hrs or 5 days but you would be very unlucky for it to be cloudy your whole trip.

Relax and have fun!

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The weather….what else would a Brit ask about!

Hi there - I have just returned from a trip to Port Vila and given I live in Brisbane Australia and am used to hot weather I would have to say you are going to be very hot in November! Brisbane has hot, humid summers yet I felt the humidity in Port Vila straightaway and August is the end of their winter! As the other reply said I would bring lightweight, loose fitting clothing. I had a singlet top on underneath a lightweight shirt one day and felt very warm. Loose fitting and lightweight is the key. If you can't get anything like that in the UK I would suggest some online shopping ASAP! Make sure you carry water with you at all times as you get dehydrated very quickly. Very few of the shops have air conditioning and I found that the ones that do have ineffective systems. It all costs money and the fact is they don't have much of that so everything is dialed down accordingly. Don't expect the cars to use their air con either, open windows was the only option we had! I am sure you will love it but just be prepared for how hot and humid it is. Being a tropical summer you may also find it rains a lot. There is a reason everything is so green!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
963 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The weather….what else would a Brit ask about!

I guess as you expected teejay theres no way of really predicting what THIS november is going to bring.

We were there last october and the weather was a mixture of warm/overcast and brilliant sunshine.

I do have to offer a bit of advice-the sun still "bites' on the overcast days.

4. Re: The weather….what else would a Brit ask about!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila