We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shellharbour...
1 post
Save Topic
vaccinations

Hi,

Myself, husband and two children aged 2 and 4 are traveling to Vanuatu next month and was wondering if we needed to get vaccinated ? Everyone seems to be giving us different answers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
653 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations

I would think that medical advice would be best sought from a doctor, not from well meaning travel gurus.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations

Have a chat to your GP who will check the travel vaccination website to work out what vaccinations you need.

For a forthcoming cruise Princess spelt out the requirement, that we needed to ensure that we had what ever vaccinations were necessary and produce a vaccination certificate to prove that these had been done at embarkation, or run the risk of not being allowed to board.

Vanautu is one of the countries in addition to a couple of others in the pacific region that we will be visiting on that trip.

I would make certain that your normal vaccinations including flu shots are up to date, as well there are a couple of others that your doctor will also recommend.

Some of these wont be covered by the PBS however may be claimable from your health fund if you have private cover.

A google search of travel vaccinations will also provide additional info however as I have indicated its best to have a chat to you GP and arrange whatever shots he suggests asap.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations

Not a medical expert ...guess I'm a 'well meaning travel guru'. So the usual disclaimer of this being my opinion. If you search the topic in this forum, you will see this has been discussed numerous times. The general consensus of those who visit often, as well as those who live in Vanuatu, is that if you're going to be staying around the main island of Efate then nothing other than the same vaccinations you need in Aus are necessary. Immunizations such as fluvax, whatever Hep vaccines are available, tetanus booster of course, all good to have when travelling in general.

Dengue has been a problem recently, but there is no immunisation against that available. Usual precautions against mosquito bites to protect against dengue and malaria are sensible - spray, cover up if mosquitoes are around, burn mozzie coils if necessary, sleep under a mosquito net (if using basic local accommodation and/or travelling to more remote islands). Anti-malarials are not really necessary for Port Vila, but of course, if you are at all concerned, speak to a travel doctor, and let him know where in Vanuatu you are headed. Last year we travelled to a couple of very remote islands, and took anti-malarials without problems, but haven't on previous trips.

Vanuatu is a great family destination. I hope you have a wonderful time

Cheers, Barbara

4. Re: vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 15, 2015