We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Fishing

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Local Fishing

Hi

We previously stayed at Eratap resort where we had access to a small dinghy for hand line and small rod fishing just off land. We were unable to get a reservation there this time but would really love to organise for my Dad (first time visiting) to do some of this type of local fishing in addition to the larger fishing charter.

Has anyone been able to organise local fishing and any tips on how you did this would be great.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Local Fishing

Thanks Carla, most helpful post there. I'm confident you are breaking no "rules" as you are responding to a fair question with information you have discovered and are sharing.

I'd not go with Gideon's as they don't allow you to keep fish which I think is just plain exploitative. I insist on the option of keeping at least some of what I catch.

The half day with Melanesian seems OK, (39,000 Vatu=A$450 currently) given 5am-2pm is 9 hours.

I'm really interested in doing a bit of bottom fishing for reef varieties rather than surface fishing/trolling for the game varieties. I keep hearing bottom feeders from shallower waters (under 100 metres or so) are a cigatura risk, but I just really don't know. Fishing over 100 metres with a handline would be a serious hassle haha.

I have been out with another operator who does let you keep your fish, Mitch at Harbour Charters, but I don't think he does bottom fishing just game.

Anyway thanks again for sharing the information you have gained and hopefully we'll get people posting their experiences with fishing outfits over time.

Cheerz Wabster.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Local Fishing

No problem Wabster. Hope everyone keeps sharing their tips & experiences!

Thanks Carla

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
144 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Local Fishing

Hi Wabster,

I think I would be pretty miffed if I couldn't keep a few fish from my catch but do you think fishing charters aren't keen for you to keep fish because of the risk of ciguatera poisoning ? It would explain why some operators might let you keep " some" fish as they would be aware of which variety are more likely to carry the toxin. Just a thought. Mind you it is more likely to be that they can on sell your catch ;).I was told to have a look at the local fish markets. If the fish is caught locally and locals are buying it its a pretty good sign that that variety should be ok. Not sure if that is fool-proof although it makes sense.

Tight Lines ;).

Sue

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Local Fishing

When my wife and I travelled there on our honey moon, we did a half day fishing / half day island tour with lelapa island tours. We managed to catch a few decent fish, all fish were kept. If you want to eat your catch, ask the locals to cook your catch for lunch:) they will keep the rest for their village. The tour is about 8000vt for the day by memory. All proceeds to back to the village. it was a day to remember. I'm going back in august with my family of four and plan on doing this again

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Local Fishing

It's not because of ciguatera suebnz. They either sell the fish to restaurants or eat it themselves.

J

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Local Fishing

Thanks for this info, we are heading to Iririki Inland in October 2014 for our Honeymoon. I kayak fish and Spearfish in NZ and was wondering if I could do some in Vanuatu while we are there. Will ask Iririki if there is a local I can go with.

17. Re: Local Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 19, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila