We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help planning a budget friendly family trip

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane...
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
help planning a budget friendly family trip

Hi All,

Your posts have been so helpful!

I am planning a family holiday for my son and I and his dad ( we are happily separated friends) My son is 8, so far our accoodation is 6 nights at Warwick Le Lagon from 8 nov then we are meant to fly to Tanna for two nights staying at whitegrass and doing the volcano tour then fly back to villa for our international trip back to brisbane.

I have conned my ex into adding an extra 3 nights to our trip as there just seems to be soooo much to do! My excuse was that if we fly out fri to Tanna that we would miss the fire show at the beach bar near Hideaway that I have heard so much about ;)

Sorry for being long winded here is the real questions, I have found the best deal for the extra three days at Vila before heading to Tanna to be at Benjor Beach club, it looks nice and has good reviews so far as I can tell and is right near hidaway, fireshow, zorbing cascades and Tanna Coffee, so will this be a good place for us and the boy for three days?

I want to do a lot of fun activities and I am interested in the coongoola cruise and buggy driving, but I am limited by a very tight budget, If we wing it our selves how much would it cost each day to visit the various other resorts and is it true that if you have lunch at hideaway you can do the glass bottom boat for free?

I have about a million questions but will leave it at that!!

Thanks in advance ,

Mel.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help planning a budget friendly family trip

Hi

Warwick Le Lagon is great for families with kids but if you are on a budget there are cheaper options. Just check out the Hotels link at the top of this page. Whitegrass on Tanna is nice too but right next door at Tanna Evergreen you will find a cheaper family bungalows and a very good restaurant. Their volcano tours and other tours are also cheaper.

There is fire dancing most nights somewhere around Port Vila. Lots of resorts have Melanesian Feast nights , eg Iririki, Erakor, Le Lagon, Coconut Palms to name a few. The Beach Bar at Hideaway also has fire dancers (the same troupe Vanua Fire performs at many venues).

If you just catch a bus to the Cascades rather than doing a tour it is not hard to just wander up the path to the top after paying your entrance fee of 2000vt/adult. If you are staying at Benjor the bus should only be 300vt/adult or less. Visiting places like Erakor Resort or Iririki where you pay a day guest fee which is then redeemable for food or activities is a cheap way to spend a day. Or you can just visit some resorts that are not on outlying islands by bus and as long as you buy lunch you can use the pool for free (eg Le Lagon). On Hideaway your day guest fee is not redeemable for food or activities. You get on the ferry at Hideaway wharf and pay at the end of the jetty on arrival. You dont need to do a glass bottom boat tour to see the fish. Bring some bread from your hotel and sit at the edge of the water and the fish will be swarming around your feet. Bring your own snorkel gear rather than hire it to go out to the pontoon and the underwater post office (which may be interesting for kids). Another option is to go in with some other guests from your hotel and hire a bus for the day (about $150 for 8 people all day) and go out to the Blue Lagoon, a village such as Bamboo Beach, or any other sites of interest. Keep in mind that all beaches are privately owned and you would also need to pay an entrance fee of $3-5 pp. Have fun planning. Doing some research first will mean you make the most of your time in Vanuatu!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help planning a budget friendly family trip

Peace and light has been very comprehensive. The only thing I can suggest is if you want to spend a day doing Tanna Coffee, Cascades and a few other areas in a single day is to perhaps look at getting a taxi. You can ask for a day price. We had our driver for three days at 70 per day and he waited for us at every place we went. He also took us to his home in a village to meet the family which was a experience in itself. We came down from cascades to find him just finishing washing his car from the stream. We ended up telling him not to rush while we talked to the local families playing in the stream. I am also a fan of staying somewhere close to town where we could get reasonably priced food and not be stuck with resort prices. Suggest stocking up form the daily markets in town. You will not find a sweeter pineapple anywhere. Good luck and have fun its a great place to visit.

3. Re: help planning a budget friendly family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 17, 2014