We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

I have a vague idea that I can buy a simcard in Port Vila for my NZ cellphone (telecom) and use it during my visit. Having paid $5 + a minute to call my travel insurance in NZ last time I was in Port Vila, I want to have a better option on my next visit. Any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

The key issue is that the phone is unlocked so you can actually use a Sim card here in Vila. Once you have ensured it is unlocked the rest is relatively straightforward. You arrive at the airport and out in the arrivals area you will see both Digicel and TVL booths, you choose which you want and buy a Tourist Sim. Usually you buy a 1000 Vatu Sim and it has 1000 Vatu of credit preloaded. You can get refills absolutely everywhere.

This trip I brought my unlocked Optus Galaxy S3 and got Digicel to set me up with voice and data. I got 1000 Vatu voice and for 1500 Vatu got 150 mb of data. The lady at the booth inserted the SIM and set my phone to take data from Digicel, all done in a few minutes. I used the first 150 megs in about 10 days so got a data refill of 175 mb for 1500 Vatu up in Luganville Digicel office last week.

Hope this makes you confident it is easy as long as the phone is unlocked,

Cheerz Wabster.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

Couldn't of put it better myself. Digicel is the superior network as far as Data service goes.

Chris

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
329 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

Digicel are great, we've used them a few times. Last time we took an unlocked iPhone and they trim down the sim to fit (thanks to previous advice on here from Wabster from memory!!) the sim wouldn't work so the next morning we popped in to the Digicel store and the issue was fixed in no time :)

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

Another option is to buy a cheap, basic phone from Digicel - about $AUD19 and just use that for the duration of your stay. This may be cheaper than getting your phone unlocked depending on the type of phone.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

Thank you all for your responses. I have a good idea of what to do now, Regards Biggles

6. Re: Using my NZ cellphone Port Vila with a local simcard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila