We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights?

Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flights?

We are leaving the next day from Melbourne - Port Vila. We booked virgin flights which stop in brisbane for a hour.

We are wondering do we turn up to the domestic airport or the international one?

Will we have to get off and get our bags and then re-check them?

We don't want to be at the airport so many hours in advance if we don't have to as the flight is early in the morning.

We rang the airline and the lady (didnt seem to know what was happening) told us to be there 7h in advance and that she wasn;t sure about our bags..

Our travel agent who we booked through has been ignoring our phone calls visits and emails ever since we payed our money.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights?

We used virgin from Sydney over Christmas. We used domestic to Brisbane, but they do check you in to your International flight to Vanuatu when you check in at the domestic. When you arrive at Brisbane, you would have received a travel pass to get to the International. Go to the front of the domestic airport at Brisbane and catch the T Bus to the international terminal. Then you just have to line up at Customs etc as you are already checked in. The bags should go through and no need to collect.

On the way home, you have to collect your bags at Brisbane International, go through customs and then take you bags to the transfer desk at the front of the terminal. Then catch the T bus to domestic terminal and go to your gate. They check you in for the domestic flight when leaving Port Vila.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights?

Hi Georgiaae, barneyridge has given you a brilliantly comprehensive answer. The only thing I would add is that 1 hour stopover is very short, and I wouldn't waste a moment getting over to the International terminal and then through Customs. I've done it before with 1 3/4 hours in between, and we were fairly stressed hoping for no delays in planes or transfers between terminals. Ended up with plenty of time of course.

With the travel agent situation, I hope all is well for you. Maybe double check flights etc online to make sure they haven't done a dodgy. I'm sure it will be fine. Have a wonderful holiday!

Cheers, Barbara

3. Re: Flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 18, 2014