We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Vila Tours

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Port Vila Tours

Our family are going to Erakor Island Resort in September, we have two teenage daughters. Would like to know peoples thoughts on the following tours, Pele, Lelepa Island, Club Hippique and the Coongoola sailing trip.

Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Vila Tours

We were in Vanuatu in Jan this year and did both Club Hippique and Coongoola. We (including our two children 13/11) enjoyed both experiences. The snorkelling was lovely off the Coongoola and the lunch provided was delicious! Natalie was a great hostess.

The horse riding at Club Hippique was good considering neither children had ridden horses before.

We also did the walk to the Cascades waterfall (you have to pick up a guide when you get there and I think it was 1500 vatu each for adults) but our guide was very friendly with alot of local knowledge. We caught a bus to the waterfall and then a bus on to Hideaway Island. We found it not worth doing the tour to the island as this was rather expensive and it was easy enough to get to and from.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Vila Tours

Hi Maude,

Thanks for your comments. I am very much looking forward to our trip. It's not till September and my kids are sick of hearing about it already. Those tours sound good. If you think of anything else that may be helpful please let me know.

Janice

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Vila Tours

Hi jo,

We went on the Lelepa Island trip last January and it was the highlight of our stay. The Nivans are wonderful, the food delicious and the snorkelling was exceptional.

Take a few extra vatu to spend in the village. They have a tiny craft display.

I was amazed to find flushing toilets in this remote spot. This might mean something to your teenage girls :)

The tour guide told us all about their use of medicinal plants and how they know when fish is safe from siguatera poison. Worth knowing that one!

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Vila Tours

Hello

I highly recommend the Lelepa day trip, as with your other reply it was also the highlight of trip last august. I did the coongoola cruise a few years ago and that was geat as well, we plan to do that one again this time. The round island tour may also be a good one.

Also, if your kids havent experienced a jet boat, this is heaps of fun as is the parasailing. I didnt actually parasail because I am such a big chicken but I went on the boat when my partner did it and he is an amputee (leg) and he had a great time.

I believe there are some new tours happening since we were there last august so I cant wait to get there and check them out.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Vila Tours

There is a company doing abseiling on the Mele Cascade falls. We didn't get a chance to do it but it sounded great. Worth looking into as I think the teenages would enjoy the challenge.

Cheers

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Vila Tours

The tour and activities operators of port Vila have an association which has just launched a website:

http://www.toursvanuatu.com/. Have a look there, as you are guaranteed that the operator is registered, carries insurance and abides to a code of conduct.

The operators that are on this site place their customers first and are trying to raise the standards in staff trainning,(including CPR for emergencies, and over all duty of care etc. They should be supported in order to weed out the shonky ones.

7. Re: Port Vila Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 04, 2009