We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Hi, have just returned from a fantastic holiday in PV. On one of our days we headed out to Eton beach and the blue lagoon, and at the suggestion of our taxi driver we also checked out a sea turtle/shark enclosure that was close to Eton beach. I can't remember the name of it - wondering if anyone else does? To help everyone, it has large sculptured totem poles (approx 20) lining the shore. It was a great experience in a lovely location. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

I think you are referring to Turtle Bay?

It's a resort that was never finished????

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Yes it is also called the Crystal Blue Lagoon.

They have coconut crabs in cages, an aviary of birds and bats, plus a few tubs of baby turtles and seawater-fed open air aquariums with morays and larger turtles.

There's a little overwater restaurant and a sandy beach from which you can wade out to a gap in the reef and feed the fish. It's good for snorkelling.

There is a fee to pay to visit it. I'm not convinced that the turtles were kept in the most ideal environment but they did have fresh seawater on each high tide.

Jen

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

There are 2 places. Crystal Blue Lagoon, an old run down place with sharks in tidal pens with giant trevally and another pen with turtles. They give you a bag of rotten fish bits and paw paw to feed them. It is pretty disgusting and the animals were not kept in good conditions, entry was 2000vt but I would never recommend anyone go there. They also had some run down bungalow accommodation there and a half built rusted water slide. Turtle Bay (same owners I believe) is newer and looks like a bit better set up. You can see it from the road. There is a day fee of 1500vt and you pay extra to get in for a photo with a turtle. There are plenty of reviews on both of these places on here...many of them not that flattering.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Crystal Blue is also called Blue Water in some reviews.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Don't start me on Blue Water Island (was a run down resort) and Turtle Bay aka Crystal Blue, same owners, same bad treatment of marine life. Both near White Sands. They cut the barbs from the stingray - very cruel, and even crueler is that they feed the turtles with pawpaw (papaya) only

Here's a link from last year which may interest you.

tripadvisor.com.au/…34863119

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

the place we said um no, was 1800 VT

dont ask how please..

there were no stingray but there were turtles in several pens saw them feeding them some sort of fish but it was cooked :(

didn;t see any crabs, very proud of the fruit bats LOL

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Any, any place that imprisons turtles in pens or small lagoons (remember turtles travel thousands of kilometers in their normal lives and can only live free) should be charged with animal cruelty and shamed to the greatest decree, they are nothing else than eco predators.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Blue Water Resort and Turtle Bay aka Crystal Blue Lagoon are two different places, but the newer one still looks a bit suss as far as the health and happiness of the enclosed creatures are concerned.

If they are both owned by the same person then it doesn't bode well for the future.

Doesn't the Kiwanis support an animal charity? It would be good if they could look into it and take action.

Those of you who live in Vila know who I mean.

J

Papamoa NZ
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

We are embarrassed to admit we went and it was a disgrace on many levels not just the cruelty. There was an element of disregard for tourists and animals alike. They literally want your money and nothing else. here is my review link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294144-d165…

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Turtle/Shark enclosure near Eton Beach

Good review Marie, that's exactly how it is.....animal cruelty! No one should give them money to see these neglected sea creatures.

Unfortunately unsuspecting tourists do pay to experience this, as I hear (and have seen) that no one much stays at the accommodation at Crystal Blue Lagoon aka Turtle Bay. I have heard other gossip about who stays at that accommodation but I don't believe it's appropriate for this forum

I suspect in years to come it will also be the run down wreck Blue Water Island became because the owner never spent one dollar on any maintenance.