We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorking gear

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
snorking gear

Should you take your own snorkle gear or is it reasonable to hire

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorking gear

I would bring my own as not all places hire snorkel gear. Also often hire gear is not in good condition (scratched lens on the goggles etc).

You could check with your resort though as some give free use of equipment, if you aren't keen to bring your own over. If you do buy your own gear its worth getting a quality set and some short fins (board fins) rather than the long fins to reduce your luggage weight, plus you can still walk in them.

Have a great trip!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorking gear

Short & long answer: YES!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorking gear

It may cost as much to hire there as it would to buy here and the quality is doubtful for hired gear.

We always take our own. If you don't want to pack huge fins then pick up a pair of those boardriders short fins.

J

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,681 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorking gear

We took our own.

FWIW i have both snorkel fins and dive fins and in 20/20 hindisght should have taken the dive fins.

Dive fins would have let me wear my booties into the water then put the fins on in deeper water and i could have worn the booties on the beach rather than taking both reef shoes (weigh nothing) and changing to the fins when i was in the water (i didn;t take my dive gloves and in some pace they would have been more useful when i came in close to shore as i could have used my hands on the sea floor (lots of tiny urchins at about 20cm depth)

LOL my compromise ended up being wear the reef shoes into the water, remove and slide on fins and use the reef shoes on my hands for "landing!"

really it depends on what you already own. There is negligable difference between surf fins and snorkel fins (looked at this in the past as GS thought about it as an option) Satndard board fins are made from heavier structure and less flexible rubber. The difference between GS board fins (size 7) and snorkel fins of the same size was 13gm (reef tourers)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorking gear

Big Blue dive company will hire out good quality snorkelling gear at reasonable price but it does depend on availability - so it is a bit of a gamble

6. Re: snorking gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila