We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temperature in Vanuatu in July

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water temperature in Vanuatu in July

Hi, we are soon to leave for our trip to Vanuatu, staying at Port Vila and Tanna Island. Snorkeling is high on the agenda and we are not sure about the water temperature then. Will we need to take our wetsuits for extended periods in the water? We are both Southern Ocean winter surfers so are not sooks, but do want to spend a fair bit of time in the sea. Any advice please?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temperature in Vanuatu in July

I Googled 'Vanuatu water temp' and found this:

www.bom.gov.au/ntc/IDO70059/IDO70059WTD.shtml

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temperature in Vanuatu in July

Hi Keryn,

I answered your other post on the same topic and without looking at P&Ls link I'm guessing the water temperature comes up as quite swimmable at any time of the year.

Jen

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water temperature in Vanuatu in July

I assume you are going to Port Vila on Efate. A few years back we went in early August, and it was too cool for us to swim, water temp was around 22c. However as you come from Victoria you will find it quite warm in comparison to the beaches near Portland.

Islands like Santo further to the north will be a few degrees warmer than around PV

enjoy your holiday.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water temperature in Vanuatu in July

Wow Keryn - if you surf at Portland in winter, swimming in Vanuatu in their winter equivalent will feel like taking a warm bath. Maybe take a rash vest for sun protection, certainly not for warmth. Also remember to take reef shoes as some beaches are rocky or have a lot of broken coral. You will love the water there.

Cheers, Barbara

5. Re: Water temperature in Vanuatu in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila