We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to treat coral cuts

geelong
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
how to treat coral cuts

i read that to treat coral cuts that you use diluted hydrocloric peroxide does anybody know more about this? Can it be a cream?

Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to treat coral cuts

Coral cuts are really nasty, my husband had an accident whilst kyaking in Rarotonga in 2010 - our daughter who was a vet nurse in a previous life, meticulously picked out each grain of sand & coral from the large cut on his foot with a pair of tweezers, then bathed the wound in Betadine & bandaged it firmly for the trip to the hospital. The end result was stiches , a course of antibiotics (which made him sick) & no swimming for the remaining week of our holiday. The doctors claimed that our daughter's actions would have prevented an infection but my husband was still having medical treatment for it for weeks after we arrived home. Eventually, it became evident that the stiches to the skin flap were in vain & he lost a large portion of the ball of his foot.

Moral of the story - wear reef shoes at all times.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to treat coral cuts

Wow, Fernsie, that is terrible.

You should really put it as a warning on the sticky on the Cook Islands forum as well as on here. Coral cuts can never be ignored.

I know that another regular on this forum currently has a very sick brother who had a scratch become infected after walking in flood water in Vanuatu.

You never know what's going to happen. You should never ignore even the slightest problem in the tropics. And most importantly, you should always have travel insurance.

Mentioned in this post
Cook Islands
Cook Islands
South Pacific
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to treat coral cuts

NZlilibet, that wasn't a coral cut it was recent knee surgery wound that got the dirty water in it.

Peroxide is good for coral cuts as it fizzes out any bits of sand etc. Betadine is also good if the wound is clean.

Zanecan, you can also get peroxide here in Vila from the chemist. I think the liquid is more effective than a cream.

Like Fernsie says, prevention is better than cure.

Diane_in_SA
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to treat coral cuts

Saw a girl come out of the water in Vanuatu when we were there with terrible coral grazes on her arms, legs and stomach - don't know what she did but we were told if any of us got something like that, to go straight to the dive shop and get soe peroxide on it. Hope that girl was ok, but it looked awful :-(

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to treat coral cuts

Not wanting to bore anyone, but there is a humorous side to this story.

We are by no means novices to Pacific Islands & coral. My husband has never been in a lagoon before without reef shoes. On this occasion he claims he had no intentions of going into the water until our daughter convinced him that she had seen a whale very close to the reef - "he had no time to get his reef shoes & no intention of leaving the kayak, but ..... a rogue wave crashed over the reef" .......... his story & he's sticking to it.

Our Grand-daughters still say "Grandpa wasn't wearing his special shoes".

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to treat coral cuts

Haha Fernsie, at least you can laugh about it. I shivvered reading that though. It's so easy to make snap decisions in the excitement of the moment. Hope he is managing ok with bits of foot missing now. Good of him to provide the grand-daughters with an object lesson :)

I had some coral cuts on my last visit to Vanuatu and vanuatulocal INSISTED I find peroxide as soon as possible for it. I actually found some in a chemist shop at Port Vila airport in transit and used it on my leg... OUCHYYYYY! Was a bit weird seeing it fizz up over and over, but I ended up not getting them infected (after having a bad infection the visit before this one), just some nice scars to show off. It's worth taking a small bottle with you in case you aren't near a chemist if it happens.

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
geelong
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how to treat coral cuts

thanks heaps for the feed back everyone, going to go on another search mission for peroxide this week if not, good to know i can get it over there , thanks again, sorry to hear of your mis fortune fernsie, i most deff will be wearing my "special shoes" anytime i venture into the water

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: how to treat coral cuts

When surfing in indo the locals use real limes ( real fruit) squeeze the juice on the cut and rub the lime pulp over the area to scour it. Worked every time even dissolves the spines you get when walking on sea eurchines. Still stings like crazy when first applied but better then the long term problems of infection. If limes arn't available use a lemon.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how to treat coral cuts

When surfing in indo the locals use real limes ( real fruit) squeeze the juice on the cut and rub the lime pulp over the area to scour it. Worked every time even dissolves the spines you get when walking on sea eurchines. Still stings like crazy when first applied but better then the long term problems of infection. If limes arn't available use a lemon.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to treat coral cuts

That's interesting Timbrook, I hadn't heard that one before. Worth a try if someone is stuck without anything else, and there are lots of little juicy bush limes around in Vanuatu.

Thanks for the advice, cheers, Barbara

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific