We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Does anyone know if Bacardi & JD wld b available at the airport inbound duty free & wld anyone know prices. Trying to decide if bringing from Oz will be the best option depending upon availability

Thx

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Yes they usually have both but nothing is guaranteed in Vanuatu!

Don't know how much but probably cheaper than Sydney.

Edited: 4:11 am, April 02, 2012
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Just remember it's a very small duty free at a very small airport.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Perhaps better not push our luck & err on the side of caution & take from OZ which was duty free anyway from last trip away :).....thx 4 the replies

Cheers

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

They had both there a couple of weeks ago, but I don't remember the prices. I'd grab it in Aus on the way rather than risk it. It's a very small shop and stock is a bit hit and miss.

For your returning home duty free it's worth going to Fung Kuey in town - they have the best duty free prices for alcohol that I've seen. Cheaper than we found back in Aus.

Cheers, Barbara

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Agree that it can be hit and miss but they are very common brands. I find duty free at PV much cheaper than Sydney but I do not buy those brands so could not say for sure.

Happy drinking :)

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Thx 4 the replies. Will not chance not being able 2 having a few drinks over the 4days :) & we r not staying in town so can't just nip down to a local somewhere. Will buy or bring from OZ

Cheers

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
333 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

You might as well buy it in Sydney as anything you buy to drink there you will be charged duty on, we got caught out last trip thinking we'd buy out bourbon there as it's cheaper than Brisbane. We were told at several places that if we wanted duty free prices they hold on to it until your return flight, if we wanted it then we had to pay duty on it. We ended up paying $10 more for a bottle of Jim Beam black than what we would have paid in Brisbane duty free.....so duty free unbelievably cheap...full price not so much :S

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Of course alcohol bought non duty free will be taxed. You are entitled to bring in a duty free allowance on arrival into Vanuatu and you can buy duty free stuff to be collected at the airport as you leave.

But you can't buy and consume duty free liquor while there, just as is the case here in Australia. Even Tusker beer is around the same price as beer bought from a liquor store here in Australia.

Vanuatu is not a cheap booze and entertainment destination, and long may it remain so :-)

Cheerz Wabster.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

mmr1316,

Just to clarify...For use in Vanuatu you buy your duty free at the airport on arrival before you go through Customs (after you grab your luggage) you are not charged duty. I would be surprised if they didn't have JD & Bacardi but you could be unlucky I guess.

Its only if you buy it at a Duty Free Shop in town and use it while you are there that you pay full price including Duty.

To bring back to Oz you can buy Duty Free in town at any time and they will have it ready to collect once you go through customs on your way home to save you buying it before you go through Customs back in Australia (and the common brands are cheaper in PV than in Oz).

cheers

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bacardi or JD at Vanuatu airport Duty free

Agree with Wabster & P&L. As we do travel extensively we know the ropes but may be confusing to others. But good heads up reviews for future reference for anyone not sure.

Cheers