We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

going to Vanuatu in june just wandering if money is easily accessed with a westpac debit card. Will also take a small amount of local currency and credit card.Any advice welcome

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

Thanks Peggyue!

I was put off by the fact of it being a credit card. So I trust other than the ATM fee, as long as I use it as a debit card there won't be any other interest charges?

I have contacted Westpac in Vanuatu and they have quoted only 250 Vatu to withdraw using my Westpac debit card.

Just waiting for Westpac in Australia to confirm if they will also charge me a fee at this end.

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

Hi K

Yes as long as used as a Debit card there will be NO fees passed on by 28D only the approx $2AUD by the ATM's bank

Good luck with your bank

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

Thank you :)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

I used the 28D card when I was there in October. ANZ charge 600 vatu to withdraw from their atm's and the most you can withdraw at a time is 440,000 vatu. Westpac charge 300 vatu per withdrawal and you can only withdraw 350,000 at a time. I loaded the card up with Australian $$ before I left.

Dirranbandi...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

Is the Visa Load&Go Travel card from Australia Post accepted widely in Vanuatu?

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

As its a Visa card I imagine it can be used anywhere that they would take credit cards. You may want to check the cost for withdrawing cash advance from it though. We usually take some cash over and after that has been exchanged at Goodies we then just withdraw from our own acct debit card at ANZ. 6 of 1 really in regard to fees and charges or losses thru exchange rates and certainly not enough to warrant any stress over a lost $2 here and there.

27. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, November 04, 2015
Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

Banks won't be open, but ATM machines will be accessible - same as here...

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

Lyn T the airport bank currency exchange, and the duty free, are open for ALL arrivals :-)

Change enough to tide you over for a day or 2 max, then head to Goodies as soon as possible.

The NBV at the airport gives about 3 Vatu/dollar less than Goodies.

Cheerz Wabster.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
95 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: What currency/ c/cards/ to take to Vanuatu

We came back from PV last week. We kept on having to take cash out. Lots of attractions only take cash. The other problem is that the ATM's are not regularly restocked with cash. Next year when we go back, I'm going to get a lot of cash in NZ and not even bother with my credit card. There is 5% (if not more) added to the bill when you used a credit card.

Have a great trip. Feeling very envious, sitting here in my old Auckland house!