We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on cash

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canberra, australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on cash

My husband and I are going to Vanuatu next week for the first time.

I'm a bit unsure how much I should have converted before I go. Is it wise to have all of my holiday spending money converted before we leave, or is it easy enough to once we are over there? And are credit cards accepted at many places?

Thanks

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on cash

HI ErinP1

You are much better to take cash and convert once you get to Vanuatu. Don't do it at the Sydney airport - complete rip off. Do a search and have a look at other comments on this forum. There is also a Westpac and ANZ there you can withdraw from their bank machines - also credit cards are widely accepted but mostly for an extra fee. We found it easy to keep our money in the hotel safe and change what we needed every few days. There is no fee to change you money at Goodies in Vanuatu – unlike ANZ in Sydney who want $7:00!

Regards

Suzi

Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on cash

Suzie's right - convert it when you get there. It depends if you plan on eating out all the time or doing some shopping as to how much you need. We allowed $100 each per day and didn't spend it all. We shopped a bit for food and ate out most nights for dinner, and drank a fair bit. If you are going to any outer islands most don't have ATM's, so change cash in Vila before you go, although we found remote resorts would take AU dollars or VISA.

Travellers checks are also another option if you are concerned about carrying a lot of cash. Most money changers take them as well.

Have a great time..

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on cash

HI Erin,

Also be aware that some smaller banks and building society funds are not accessible in Vanuautu.

We find the easiest thing to do is take Aussie cash and convert it at Goodies at the earliest opportunity. If you land on a Sunday you can change it at the 7 Eleven. Both Goodies and the 7 Eleven are downtown toward the airport end of the main street. Look for the El Gecko outdoor boardwalk cafe eating area and Goodies is right next door.

Do keep it in the safe in your room if you are staying at a resort. The safes are easy to operate.

We found credit card fees and bank fees to be a bit steep so this is why we take cash. Don't bother converting it here, you'll get a crummy conversion rate and they'll put a charge on top of it as well.

There is a National Bank of Vanuatu office at the airport where you can change a little bit of cash if you require it for a taxi or bus to your accommodation.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on cash

Just back yesterday, we took a little ($100) that we got exchanged here so that we could catch bus etc. The exchange rate was poor. When in Vila we exchanged money at shops run by chinese as directed by our bus drivers. We always got a better rate than Goodies by about 3 Vatu.

5. Re: Advice on cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 12, 2009