We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ADelaide
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

We were staying at Le Lagon when we here hit with an awful gastro bug.It can last from 12hrs to 3 days. Apparently it is around the island It was advertised in the Le Lagon newsletter We were traveling with 41 guests (all staying at different place) and so far I know of 15 people getting it. We packed with us Buscopan and Imodium. All 3 of us got it and unfortunately I didn't bring enough tablets and they are approx 2000Vt to buy around $30. Other people at the resort also had had it that I talked to and a couple also had it on the plane going home (poor things) If I has know I would have packed a glen20 room spray and a couple of extra boxes of tablets.

All the locals tell you to drink Sprite or tonic water when you get it. i think I did help a little

Take Care

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

Hi Crtonline,

Well hope your wedding experience outweighs the memory of the bug!

Cheers,

Jen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

We just got back and 4 out of 5 of us got it. 2 of the kids and hubby twice.

We were out at Paradise Cove, 2 kids came down within 12 hours of arriving. It was a bit of a pest because they all took turns in having it over a period of 8 days on a 12 day trip.

Best thing we found was Maxalon, cheered them up no end. And coke is always great if you have a dodgy tummy overseas. The combination of sugar, caffeine and bubbles has saved me many times in plenty of dodgy Asian countries in the past.

If you are off to Vanuatu or any other underdeveloped country a well stocked first aid/medicine kit is a must. I often worry that customs will pull me over, the amount of stuff I have in my bags! Having said that I did go buy an extra box of Immodium, but it was only 1100vt, must have been a different Chemist.

TAS
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

Thanks for the gastro warning. We are heading to

Le Lagon this week 24 Oct and I am a bit concerned to go. I would just hate to take the kids and they get sick. Do you think eating mainly at the resort helps?

ADelaide
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

Hi

i don't think it makes any difference where you eat. We drank the water and ate at different places we where there for 10 days before we caught it. traveling with 41 people who were staying in all different places and eating different things I think it is just a really contagious bug. but then again my friends husband had it for 5 days and she never caught it. If I was you i would take some glen20 spray and spray the room when I got there and use aquium hand gel. You can also take innerhealth tablets (from the chemist) they can help prevent gastro.

best of luck don't worry to much hopefully it will pass by the time you are there.

have fun

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

I would take some gastro stop type medication that you can get from the chemist - always better to be prepared if you do get it. Awful to be sick in a country and no access to help if it is in the middle of the night - especially if you have kids. I always take a first aid kit with me that I make up myself

1. Panadol

2. Tea tree oil or Iodine antiseptic for really bad cuts or coral scrapes

3. Sting ease - for bad insect bites – pawpaw ointment also great

4. Bandaids and ankle strap for sprains

5. Gastro stop

Luckily I have never needed it – except for the panadol after a few too many margaritas in the sun!

Regards

Suzi

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

We got campylobacter while in Vanuatu - although I got sick after arriving home. Fortunately my husband wasn't too bad - his food poisoning wasn't of the explosive nature. But for someone not spending 30 seconds washing their hands, the last day of our holiday was a bit of a wipe-off.

Ever try flying long distance with a stomach bug? Gases expand. Also not pretty. Thank goodness for travel insurance because being unexpectedly grounded at HK at 7:30pm is not cheap.

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

Thanks for your warning guys, we are flying out tomorrow morning. We will have to try and stock up on some of those items at sydney airport.

Wish us luck.

adelaide hills
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

Hi , yes it's very difficult to avoid it. We were there 10 days ago and 2 of 5 of us got physically sick (mainly vomiting) and the other three felt nauseous for 24-36 hrs. Take Gastrolyte to avoid dehydration. On the flight home there was a couple who needed medical attention - drips etc so go prepared. We still had a great time!

Cheers

pricemob

Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

Hooray....I got it too! We met probably 8 people who'd been all round Vila at different resorts that caught it. I had 2 of the worst days ever but came good in time for Tanna. Our neighbour at Erakor ended up on a drip in Hospital from dehydration.

Rehydration solution is a must. They gave me Lomotil, which has some dodgy side effects. Slept for a couple of days and was really dazed and confused, at least more so than usual. Pity my girl having to put up with me...Didn't spoil the trip though, loved it especially Tanna. Will post seperately about it.

Cheers.

TAS
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: beware of a gastro bug going around vila October 17th 2008

OMG now I am starting to worry I am taking my family on holiday to get the Gastro!! As you can probably tell I am a bit of a stress case, but I just hate the kids getting Gastro. My youngest got a touch in Fiji and it scared the hell out of me. Thanks for everyones advice I have just been to the chemist and stocked up medications and will start us all on probiotics before we go. I have also emailed the

Le Lagon to see if things are settling and will let everyone know. If its still bad we will postpone our holiday. Thanks again every one this site is the best!