We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanuatu with a 3 year old

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glenelg, SA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vanuatu with a 3 year old

Hi all travel experts!

We head off to Vanuatu next week for 8 nights, staying at Le Lagon Resort with our (well travelled) 3 year old. He is a great little traveller, and loves new experiences.

We're wondering if anyone can give us some ideas what would be suitable for him? (He's looking forward to seeing lots of fish, going to the beach and swimming in the pool).

We've read lots of people suggesting we wear reef shoes due to the coral - unfortanately I can't find any in our shops (being winter) to buy to take with us. Do you think we could buy some there, especially for our little boy?

Also, what is the duty free shopping like (other than grog)??

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanuatu with a 3 year old

Hi GlenelgGlobetrotters,

What a lucky little three year old you have.

You can purchase reef shoes in the shops along the main street.

I'm not sure if they will have them small enough for a three year old, but if not, put him in little sandshoes. Hideaway Island is particularly harsh on the feet.

We have walked safely around in the water many times, but there are lots of sea urchins about, and even little bits of broken coral can be sharp. It is just so much wiser to wear something on your feet and then relax in the water.

You can certainly swim in the pools at the cascades. They are very deep in spots but our younger set enjoyed them immensely.

One of the things he may enjoy is to sit beside the handrail at SeaView Cafe, under Chill near the vege markets and throw little bits of chicken into the water and watch the fish from there. There are some beauties. Pick a sunny day for the best effect.

Grab the little free ferry out the front of Le Lagon and go across to Erakor Island and let him play on that lovely little sandy beach.

There is a beautiful aquarium at Tilly's in Chantilly's Resort. A lovely place to go for lunch.

The poolside barbecue at the Melanesian puts on a display of dancers and musicians that may amuse your little one. Its on a couple of times a week.

The Sweeti icecream (bought in tubs in the supermarket) is pretty delish, as are the superflans. They look like tubs of yoghurt and taste like creme caramels. Mmmmm

The museum of natural history has sand painting displays that may be of interest.

Duty free shopping is somewhat less than you might be used to in other overseas destinations. Vanuatu is not a 'shopping' destination really. Paris Duty Free has nice perfumes and cosmetics. Prouds and the little jeweller around the corner have some lovely sparklies.

You'll have it sussed out in a day or so just by wandering up and down the main street. Also check the street on the back block.

Cheers,

Jen

Glenelg, SA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanuatu with a 3 year old

Thanks Jen for such a detailed reply, and some great suggestions. I am sure we will put it to good use.

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanuatu with a 3 year old

Hi There,

We went last November with my 3 year old. I had reef shoes for my son but he never wore them cause he didnt like them. Instead he wore his crocs in the water and on the sand and I found these to be great. They aren't the real crocs but I got them from Target but Big W and Kmart also sell them. They dry pretty quick too.

We took him on the underwater semi submarine which he loved. It goes around the harbour and shows you the reefs and all the fish. The guy throws food into the water and all the fish come up close to eat. He loved it but it did get a bit hot in there. The boat leaves near where the Iririki boat leaves from.

My son loved catching the buses and talking to the people on the bus. They are really friendly with kids.

Enjoy your holiday I hope you have a great time!

Emma

4. Re: Vanuatu with a 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila