We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st experience with unpleasantness in Port Vila

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st experience with unpleasantness in Port Vila

We have holidayed in Vanuatu on 6 occasions and visited Port Vila twice whilst passengers on a cruise liner.

In fact, we actually got married at Le Lagon so you can see that we enjoy Vanuatu.

However on our most recent holiday, we had our first experience with deliberate provocation by a Ni Vanuatu.

We had just finished dinner at El Gecko which by the way was excellent, and we strolling along the footpath at around 10.00pm in the main street of Vila.

Walking towards us was a male Ni Vanuatu adult who I would guess would have been in his early 20's.

I was holding my wife's hand but there was plenty of room on the footpath for each of us to walk by.

As the Ni Vanuatu came almost adjacent to me, he dropped his shoulder and deliberately shoved me, then ran off down the street.

Needless to say, I was surprised and stumbled before regaining my balance. By this time, he was well down the street where he paused and looked back at us before running off again.

This is the first time that we've experienced any form of unpleasantness in Vanautu and whilst perhaps it might be understandable given the disparity of wealth, it is still disappointing.

I should emphasize that no attempt was made to steal anything.

I would also emphasize that my wife and I take care when overseas to respect the customs & beliefs of other peoples, and we weren't drawing attention to ourselves by behaving outrageously.

My intention in writing this warning is not to discourage people from visiting Vanuatu, but for tourists to be aware that Vanuatu is, lamentably, changing with the influence of the western tourist dollars.

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Chlia Tours and Transfers
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Eleanore Lagoon Cruise
Cultural Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
SA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st experience with unpleasantness in Port Vila

There is Tasmanian royalty- Mary Donaldson!!! I wonder if she and Frederick have visted Vanuatu LOL Off topic I know but i could not resist.....

12. Re: 1st experience with unpleasantness in Port Vila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, October 01, 2009