We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark and Turtle feeding

SA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Shark and Turtle feeding

Hi I'm going to Vanuatu next month for 8 nights. Can anyone tell me where I can go turtle and shark feeding???

Sydney
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

Hi,

You can fee the sharks and turtles at a place called Bulewater Island resort, about 20minutes from Vila. I will be honest, its not great. They just have 2 cement like pits i guess you could call them and in one there is about 3 or 4 big turtles and big fish and the other pit has black tip reef sharks and some fish.

When feeding the turtles they give you pawpaw and you actually hand feed them but with the sharks they just give you stuff like fish guts and fish heads and you throw them to the sharks. The fish in the shark tank usually get the food.

We were greatly disappointed. I think the RSPCA would have a field day! However in saying that we went there in Feb 07 and they were upgrading the resort so things might have changed.

Emma

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

I agree with Ozzy, the place should be avoided, the conditions the sharks and turtles are kept in is disgraceful.

We were there in April, failed to see any signs of renovation.

SA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

Thats disapointing may have to rethink that, My boyfriend isn't too interested in feeding turtles and sharks anyway. Who knows I may see a turtle in its natural habitat anyway...Ta for the advise

Sydney
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

Meli,

We went on the Coongoola day cruise and that takes you to a turtle conservation spot on Tranquility Island (I think thats what it was called) They have several turtles all of different sizes. They keep them there till they are bigger so they have a better chance of survival when released.

On the cruise you go to another island and have 2 snorkles at different reefs. My Dad and sister saw a turtle on the first snorkle.

I highly recommend this tour. Just a tip, we booked directly with the tour company and got a discount. They are in the main street across the road from Goodies, the money exchange place.

Hope this helps

Feilding - NZ
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

Hi there

We got back just a week ago and have to agree with previous posts. we also did the coongoola cruise and the snorkelling was AMAZING. We did however book direct at the office and tried to get a discount, but it never happened..LOL must be luck of the draw

Hope you have a fabulous time

SA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

Thanks everyone

How much is that cruise anyway?

Travel Brochure says $from $108

It includes lunch and afternoon + morning teas??

And did anyone see dolphins?

Feilding - NZ
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

i think it was around 17000 vatu for two which was roughly NZ dlrs 120 ea. yes this included morning and afternoon tea, they pick you up from where you stay and deliver you back. They cooked a BBQ lunch on a beautiful little island - that has a toilet - umm you can also buy soft drinks or beer and wine.

We never saw any dolphins. I would do this cruise again only for the snorkelling...it really was magnificient. they also feed the fish on the way back to the main land - must be left overs from lunch. you get to see some huge fish. turtles I could take or leave

Sydney
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

When we went in November last year we saw Dolphins on the way back. It was only my family and another couple that did the tour that days which I think made it even better. It was like a private tour and we had the beach all to ourself!

The food was good. Morning and afternoon tea just tea, coffe and cake and biscuits. Lunch was BBQ with steak and salads and bread rolls. Cans of drink can be purchased.

The Dolphins were amazing. There was 2 different pods on either side of the boat and they were jumping out of the water. The driver of the boat turned around and did a big circle so we could see them again. It was just magic even though it was lightly raining.

You will love it, we had an awesome time.

9. Re: Shark and Turtle feeding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 02, 2009