We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

Vanuatu
5 posts
Save Topic
Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

This is worth taking a look at. There are a couple of would-be retirees raffling a resort (private holiday home, plus 6 luxury hoiday apartments) on the Internet to raise funds for YouMe Support Foundation.

They'll get market value only from the raffle, while a bunch of kids who live in a 'no-cash-economy' society in the outer islands will get a non-repayable high school education grant. Without this help these kids will never see the inside of a high school classroom.

On June 15th Win a Resort is giving away $US1000 in a second Thank You Supplementary Draw.

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

My only suggestion on this matter would be "caveat emptor"-buyer beware!

I asked about this promotion when I was in Vila in April and none of the expat locals knew anything about it! (Bells are Ringing!!!!)

I have looked at the website and primarily was interested, but I will stick to my tried and tested formula of 'if it's too good to be true, it usually is!'

The resort is known to some local friends I have over there and I'm told it's never that busy but I suppose if I wanted to retire I wouldn't be chasing up business either.

As they say in Thailand (often) "up to you!"

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

Hi reboi, I have no personal association with Seachange, other than that I stayed there last week.

Firstly, it is magnificent.

Secondly, it is fairly busy most of the time. Being small and secluded may give the locals the impression that it either isn't there or isn't successful. Many of the bus and taxi drivers we used knew exactly where to take us.

It is not a big mainstream resort and so appeals to a different kind of traveller.

As far as the raffle is concerned it has been widely publicised for a number of months via their web-site.

If the the owners, Ric and Wendy are scammers they are not doing much to cover their tracks. You could ring them now at their home address, which they have owned for 4 years, to check on all of this if you like.

Half of the raffle proceeds is to be donated to the education of local kids.

I believe them. If you met them you'd probably believe them too.

Hopefully those alarm bells have qietened a little now, but, please, do your own research, everybody.

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

I might have to set the record straight here...I do not and have not accused anyone of being scammers.

I am well aware that this raffle has been publicised for a long time and have indeed visited the website.

If I have inadvertantly offended anyone by my post I sincerely apologize but I will stand by my opinion.

And please be assured it is only MY opinion.

Can anyone please supply the draw date for the resort prize? It may well be that this is an unknown factor due to all tickets having to be sold first?

All efforts to improve the education of the children of Vanuatu are to be applauded as the country and it's people begin to grow.

To all who have purchased tickets in this raffle, I wish you luck and hope that you will enjoy your prize if you win.

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

Dear Garymelbourne, it would appear that the offer of winning a resort has dismally failed to attract interest.

It seems a shame if the kids in Vanuatu lose out and I'm sure you agree with me on that!

I had another look at the website last night and it seemed to be in dire need of an update, maybe you could relay this message to your friends at the lodge.

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

only 99,999 tickets....@ US$125.00 each = 12.5 million dollars US, You do the sums!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

Let it go, reboi. It'll eat you up. If you don't want anything to do with the raffle no ones twisting your arm. I am not a spokesman for, nor a friend of, the Seachange Lodge people.

I have simply had an enjoyable stay there and met the couple who are organizing the contest, who seem genuine IMO.

I prefer to stick to facts - not conjecture and innuendo.

Before this forum starts to bore everybody to death, I won't be entering into any further discourse on this matter. I'd rather read about all the lovely things people have been doing in Vanuatu, and I'm sure everyone else would, too.

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

You're quite right Gary, I really shouldn't worry about about silly things being promoted on tourist websites.

Sorry I get so wound up about such things, by the way....any statement I made WAS based on the facts, however I graciously accept your apology and wish you all the best.

Now, hopefully we can get on with the tourist things and we will all be happy again.

Vanuatu
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

It is so easy for all of us to make quick judgements, without doing the homework first. Just because a few local's don't know a place, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. How does an annual average of 75% occupancy sound to you? On proven figures.

If you read through all the FAQ's on winaresort, it covers everyone of your questions.

The raffle closes when the 99,999 ticekts are sold.

All money goes direct into a Trust Fund and is not handled at all by the current owners. Rick and Wendy only ever receive the market value of Seachange Lodge (at the time the raffle was launched).

The project is based on an Affiliate programme. This alone eats up to 40 - 50% of the proceeds unfortunately. Such figures are easy to prove - just take a close look at any Affiliate programme.

If the target ticket sales is not reached, the money is returned to those who have bought tickets.

I agree the site needs an improvement. I have been told that this is well under way and about to be launched.You too can ring Rick or Wendy on the telephone or talk to them on email. admin@youmesupport.org

While it is great to have freedom of speech in forums, it is all too easy to be 'tyre' kickers.

Maybe we can all do ourselves a favour by asking questions, instead of knocking what we do not know, or basing our comments on half truths.

If some kids get a high school education, who would not see the inside of a high-school classroom, without outside assistance, good on Rick and Wendy

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

My wife and I have a On Line travel agency operating from Port Vila and have dealt with Rick and Wendy Owners of Seachange lodge for 3 years. We can testify that they are the most honest and ethical people you would ever likely to meet. The "Win a resort" raffle is totally kosher and the majority of funds generated will go to the local kids education.

Thet already donate much of their time and resort profits helping outer island indigenous communities.

Yes its a novel way of raising funds, but thats how innovative they are. We are fully supportive of their initative

Cheers, vanuatulocal

10. Re: Win a Resort - Blue Moon Opportunity to win a South Pacific

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila