We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone coverage in Vanuatu

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Mobile phone coverage in Vanuatu

Hi all, I hope a couple of you seasoned travellers to Vanuatu can help me with this question regarding mobile phone use in Vanuatu. I have a pre-paid phone with Virgin mobile and I am wanting to call my kids back home either on the home phone or their Virgin mobile.(No, kids are not coming with me,Yay)

Does anyone know if this is possible, or are there huge costs involved. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to call home to check on kids? Please help!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone coverage in Vanuatu

Hi 1st,

If you go to the Post Office in the main street you can enquire about a TVL phone card which should do the trick. Otherwise you may find the owners of Seachange will let you use their voip system for a nominal fee. You can but ask.

Ciao,

Jen

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone coverage in Vanuatu

Sorry 1st I got you mixed up with the previous post. For you it is the TVL Smile card I think.

Are you able to get "roaming" set up on your Virgin phone? If so your kids will be able to phone you as well. Keep one of their SMS in your message bank so you can reply using SMS and it will just add the necessary international numbers to it. Well at least that's what we found. I could call anyone via their SMS or recent inbox number but if I used the normal "contact" list it didn't go through. The airport has a good connection but in other places it drops in and out.

Ciao,

Jen

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone coverage in Vanuatu

Hi 1st

I don't think you can get Virgin roaming on a pre paid phone so you will need to purchase a TVL Smile network card for you calls home.

Happy Travels

currumbin
Level Contributor
105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone coverage in Vanuatu

just be warned smile cards don't always work and it can be hard to get a refund, the reception in town is good but sketchy further out and the new phone towers are not working yet. You can get roaming on some prepaids just check with the carrier, telstra charges 75cents per message from vanuatu when on roam and you pay for both incoming and outgoing calls with them

5. Re: Mobile phone coverage in Vanuatu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 28, 2009