We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port vila safe drinking water

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Port vila safe drinking water

Hi all, just wondering how the water is on Efate island and around Port Vila. We are heading over in May next year with my children 4 and 6, and was wondering if we would be able to just fill up our water bottles from taps to drink or if we needed to buy it or boil it. Our Accomodation won't have self catering facilities so I am hoping its fine to drink.

Thanks

sunshine coast
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port vila safe drinking water

we started off with bottled water as were advised dont drink the water but we met aussies who lived there and others on holiday all drinkking the water. We were told it was quite pure so we gave it a go. we didnt get sick or have any problems. Anything imported is quite dear there including bottled water and depending on when you are staying the trip to the supermarkets can be a bit of a walk. Dont buy water at the resorts, its dear as poison. The same goes for eating at the resorts. There are couple of great places in town to eat.

Nth Qld
Level Contributor
24 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port vila safe drinking water

We bought 4 bottles of water from the supermarket when we arrived in Port as we ( 4 of us )wanted to reuse the bottles to carry tap water in! The water is just fine to drink, high in Calcium but delicious.

Cheers!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Port vila safe drinking water

We bought water the whole time on our trip as we did not like the taste of the water (and did not want to risk a slightly upset tummy because of all the calcium in the water). On one of our last days we went into Azure Water and the new owner suggested that we could have hired a water filter (which they deliver to your accom) for our stay. I can't remember how much she quoted, but remember thinking it was very reasonable. They are on the airport side of town on the Lini Highway (between town and Chantilleys I think). This could be a good solution to make sure the kids keep up their liquids.

Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port vila safe drinking water

it's a bit of an iffy question. We drank the water at the village near hideaway (as it was pumped directly from the waterfalls). it was fine. But generally, no, we drank bottled water.

I'm sure 9 times out of 10, the water's fine. We were pretty relaxed about it by the end of our trip....and then got really ill the day before we left! But it was at the end of the holiday, so that's not too bad!

Having said that, I can't say for sure if it was the water, or something we ate. But being as all 4 of us were ill, and eating different meals, the money was on the water.

Taking young kids, probably better to be safe than sorry. the last thing you would want is for sick children on a holiday!

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port vila safe drinking water

Thank everyone, we will have a kettle in our room and I was wondering if it might be worth boiling the tap water a couple of times and then refidgerating it before drinking it. We usually drink alot of water (2 kids) and I cant imagine having to buy water all the time. We will be on an all inclusive deal at our resort so can drink there for free. I doubt they would use bought in water, I'm sure it will just be from a tap. Hopefully by boiling it in a kettle might be enough to get rid of any nasties.

Kat

6. Re: Port vila safe drinking water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila