We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bethel Village, North Efate

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bethel Village, North Efate

Has anyone ever stayed at Bethel Village, North Efate - or know of it and can share their experiences with me? I would appreciate any information.

Ozjo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bethel Village, North Efate

Hi Ozjo

Although I haven't visited Bethel Village, I am planning on visiting for a couple of nights in early July. I don't like doing whole day tours and thought this sounded like a great way to see some of the island and experience some culture.

I have been watching your post eagerly waiting for someone to reply. In the meantime I thought we might share any info that we can gather.

I have found some info on the net (which I am sure you have found by now). They have their own website and you can book through Vanuatu hotels.

I am wondering if the round island tour (on this site)(vanuatutourism.com/vanuatu/…bethel.html) can be split over two days or so and combined with accommodation. Although I haven't investigated that..it sounds interesting.

Also check this site if you need more convincing southpacificholidays.com.au/south-pacific/…

Maybe we will have the first Bethel Village Reviews, and I hope they will be great.

Please let me know if you want to discuss Bethel further or if you find anything out.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bethel Village, North Efate

Hi Kerrynjake,

Funnily enough, thats about the time I was thinking of visiting, as well as perhaps in early 2008 after a few weeks on tanna.

Ive checked out all those sites u mentioned but there isnt much more to look at, especially in relation to places such as port res yacht club tanna.

It really looks good on the net. I'm just a bit wary because I thought hideaway island looked good too (from net) and i stayed there for 3 nights last visit and wished I hadn't. Anyway, keep in touch and if you find more info, let me know.

It would be too funny if we were both on the same plane heading out of brissy too :)

ozjo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bethel Village, North Efate

Hi Ozjo

Wow! You are already planning your next 2 trips to Vanuatu!! I haven't been once yet! But who knows it may become my annual holiday.

Are you flying via Brisbane? If so, might see you on the way. I have booked Pacific Blue.

I know it's hard to tell what Bethel might be like, but from what I have seen it looks as though you get a glimpse of village life from the inside. I hope it's not all fake and touristy...but it's worth the chance anyway. The drive over should be nice, and there are beaches to visit. I am planning just 2 nights, so I don't think I can go too far wrong. Seeing as you have been before would you suggest getting a bus to Bethel or organising transport with the village?

I am also planning a quick trip to Tanna. In relation to Port Res. have you checked out this site?

positiveearth.org/bungalows/TAFEA/tanna.htm

There's still not much info, but it has a map and a couple of reviews.

I emailed Bethel a week ago and have not recieved a reply yet...Which I kinda expected. I had been told that communication to them is a bit hard.

Will let you know if I hear anything...and would really appreciate it if you could do the same.

Otherwise I guess our reviews will be on here late July!

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bethel Village, North Efate

Hi KerrynJake, or Kerry or Jake :),

Nice to hear from u again.

Re Pacific Blue, is it cheaper than the $630 return I'm paying with Air-Van from Brisbane, incl all taxes?

Re bus to Bethel. Apparently u can catch a bus that leaves daily outside one of the shops in Vila at about 12:30ish most days. I had the shop written down but can't find it, the locals would know. Either that or arrange a transfer thru Bethel. The daily bus might be cheaper. I plan on booking my stay thru Van.Hotels this time. They can arrange transfers too if needed. Don't forget to take Vatu with u to pay the bill. Don't change $ to V in Bris airport, its a ripoff. Do it in Vila at the bank or Goodies. Much better value.

Re Port Res: Be very careful with guidance from positive earth/aelan walkabaot site, its a very nice site visually, but some of their info is out of date or incorrect, eg Honven Seagulls on Tanna is not in operation. If u like the look of something on their site, double check it elsewhere to verify that its there and in operation.

U can talk direct to John or Silvana at van.hotels by email. Lizardo's review of Port Res and van.hotels (Aug 22 2006) was worth reading but I still plan on going thru them for Bethel because they are based in Van and will be there to 'grab hold of' if I need help on this visit. :)

I love googling Port Resolution - hours of fun trolling thru yacht logs, ppls pics, travellers entries, blogs etc.

Chat to u soon,

jo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bethel Village, North Efate

Hi Jo

The airfare with Pacific Blue was a bit cheaper a few weeks ago, but now it is a few dollars more than what you have paid. I never saw any price like that with Air Vanuatu. I think the cheapest I ever saw was about $860- return. I am very interested to hear of your secret (for next time) and would also like to talk with you further about Port Res. If you are interested could you send me a message via my profile.

Have you decided to go to Bethel?

Hope to chat soon

Kerry

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bethel Village, North Efate

Hi Kerry and anyone else who may have been reading this,

I posted an inquiry on 'Virtual Vanuatu' - I am a member, its an interesting site/forum for any1 who is keen on vanuatu and it's free to join.

I got a reply from someone who has actually been there and here it is:

Hi Jo,

Bethel Village is Joel Amos and his family wonderfull place. I've been there last year and will return this one.

Bethel Village is the "other side" of Efate, far from the city and regular tourism.

I recommand this place to anyone who wants to share a different way of life (I mean different from the city life or "resort" life). Thanks to Joel and family, spending a time at Bethel is not only having a great holliday time, it also a way to learn what can be the Ni-Van hardship : to live in South Pacific islands is not so easy with so many environmental, social and economic vulnerability !

You can see some pictures : http://www.lezards. ch

Warm regards,

Benoit.

I tried to look at the pictures but cannot access them. Anyway, its a positive review and one that makes me want to pack my bag and go visit right now! :)

Jo

7. Re: Bethel Village, North Efate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila