We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

If anyone has any questions in regards to Port Vila, Poppys on the Lagoon, air vanuatu, pacific blue and other resorts we visited i will try and answer your questions. We only arrived home today after a fantastic 2 week stay, want to go back.

sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Did you visit Tanna ?

would you recommend it for a young family with toddlers ?

Thanx for your help

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Hi Sydneylovers

no we didnt go to tanna

we asked about it and was told it was nice but so much more to do in pt vila. a family with young children who were staying at our resort did go to tanna for a night though, didnt get to ask them how it was, i guess their youngest was 8.

sorry i cant help with tanna

Nth Qld
Level Contributor
24 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Hi Babmad!

We're off to Vanuatu in Sept.....can't wait!

Just a query about Pacific Blue...how do you pay for the entertainment if you decide to use it? Can you pay with a credit card or is it only by cash?

Were you happy with their overall service or were you more impressed with Air Vanuatu? We only chose Pacific Blue because of their better arrival time in Port.

Also, did you go fishing in/around Port Vila/Efate?

Thanks in advance!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Hi tropicalshowers

I would defiantly choose Pacific Blue if I were to fly there again. We choose them for price and for arrival and departures times. We had to fly air vanuatu home as the pacific blue flight was booked out. I would not fly air vanuatu. The service was no where near what we got on pacific. I had a baby with me and the staff were lovely and very helpful on pacific, air vanuatu could not of cared less.

You pay via credit card not cash for the in movie entertainment, we didnt use it though as its such a short flight and we chatted with friends. Air vanuatu did not even put the tvs on for us.

As for fishing, my husband was defiante on doing it, but when he looked in to it, it was so expensive, so he didnt bother. I think the cheapest was still about $300.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip in sept. Any more questions ill be happy to try and help!

Babmad

Aukland
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Hi my husband and son went fishing when we were there last November.

It did end up being very expensive (about NZD500/600 can't remember exactly) for an afternoon of fishing and then either the fish weren't really edible or the guys just didn't offer it (they did catch a few). Maybe there are better trips but my husband is a fishing man and he wasn't impressed.

Our son did enjoy it but did get a bit queasy as it can be rough out of the Port area (remember the travel sickness pills).

The name of the boat was Wild Blue and the guys came around the pool at Le Lagon looking for business. They pick you up from the resort and drop you back afterwards if you want but my daughter and I met the boys down at the Waterfront Bar and Grill (where all the fishing boats are berthed) after the fishing for dinner.

Nth Qld
Level Contributor
24 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Many thanks for your info babmad! I'm pleased we're flying Pacific Blue now, both ways!! As we have teenage sons, I think we will probably have to keep them entertained (unless they chance to sit next to someone more interesting than their parents...god forbid!), so it's good to know we don't have to carry extra cash for the inflight entertainment.

Also thanks tvetting for your fishing info. I have spent a long time getting info from the internet, but it's good to get first hand experience stories. Wild Blue are very expensive & apparently they don't let you keep your catch at all. My hubby really wants the boys to have a go at game fishing but I'm afraid the expense, over a few great meals out, is hard to justify!! I did receive a lovely e-mail from the Lelepa Island Tours who are indeed a lot cheaper (no game fishing though) and quite possibly a lot more fun to be with, so it's definitely looking like we will go with them. They also allow you to 'purchase' your catch, the remainder of which goes to their community.

Thanks again!

Aukland
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

I have definitely heard a lot of good things about Lelepa Island Tours and that is what we would like to do when we return. We did the Coongoola Cruise trip which was lovely but the Lelepa trip sounds great too. Hope you have a wonderful time, Vanuatu is really a special place.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Hi Babmad,

The best price fishing boat that we have seen there is one called "Impact" and it is not located up near the bulk of the fishing fleet but rather it is down towards the craft market at the other end of the main street.

We returned late January from our nearly 3 week's stay and the deep sea fishing fleet has been virtually bought out entirely by one company so they have the market captured really, except for Impact.

Port Vila has changed so much in the last couple of years. I still have photos of the Rossi when it was open and the original Waterfront restaurant before it burned down.

As to Air Van, they have always been wonderfully attentive in our experience, although there were some long delays on flights last time.

"Virgin" attendants must like babies much more than holiday makers who dare to ask for a second milk in their tea ;)

Glad you had a good trip.

New Zealand
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Hi

My husband is attending a conference in Vanuatu at the end of June and I am lucky enough to be tagging along. We havent been to any of the islands before so are looking forward to it. As I am an adventurer and he is not I wanted to do some things for the first 3 days while he is tied up like kayaking or such like. Any recommendations. We are staying at Port Vila

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Didnt want to leave, but home now any questions welcomed

Well, as an adventurer you might like to go kayaking from one end of Erakor Lagoon to the other. You didn't say where you are staying but if it is anywhere on the lagoon, kayaks are usually provided.

You also might like to visit the underwater post office just offshore at Hideaway (Mele) Island. That is fun. There is quite good snorkelling there.

A good day trip is the Round Island discovery tour or the Lelepa Island tour.

You can also take a horseride with Club Hippique and go bush for a while, or grab a bus and head out to the cascades and climb to the top of the waterfall. Some tours also offer abseiling.

Last time we were in Vila we bought a Discover Scuba package from the scuba shop near the numbawan cafe on the waterfront behind the pharmacy. That was very well received with a pool session on one day followed by an open water dive of Paradise Point. Or you can elect to do both in one day.

That might keep you busy for a few days.