We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthcare for premature baby on Efate

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Healthcare for premature baby on Efate

Hi everyone,

we are planning to go to Port Vila for a week, I'm pregnant and will be in my 31-32 weeks. I'm in pretty good health but we are still concerned about a premature birth. Unfortunately, we cant find a travel insurance that would cover a newborn born overseas. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about a) healthcare for premature babies at 31-32 weeks in Vanuatu, b) the costs for such care and c) costs for getting us back to Australia?

Thanks a lot! Cheers, Angie

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthcare for premature baby on Efate

At that point in the game, if you really think that all indications mean you may deliver early (family history, partial dilation etc) I wouldn't risk it without travel insurance.

However, contact Promedical http://www.promedical.com.vu and get their advice for your particular circumstances.

You can always get medi-vacced out if there are complications and you have insurance. The hospitals are quite basic by Brisbane standards...and many healthy babies are born in PV each year... its really a personal choice.

There are several flights a day back to Brisbane (Qantas/Air Vanuatu and Virgin) and the cost would depend on what type of fare you initially purchased and if it allowed changes.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthcare for premature baby on Efate

Thanks PeaceandLight! There are no indications whatsoever that I might deliver early, so yes, its more a personal choice to live with a minimal risk. I also contacted Promedical earlier today and seems that medical evacuations are not too difficult to arrange. The lovely lady I spoke with over the phone mentioned that costs at the public hospital are quite low, but I didn't really get what she said about costs of hospital care at the more expensive private hospital. Do you have any idea how much hospital care for a neonate would be there?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthcare for premature baby on Efate

The standard of care would probably be similar to a small country town private hospital, which would probably be fine for the <24 hrs til you flew home. The costs at the private hospital will be more expensive but you would have travel insurance.

Have fun!

Edited: 3:45 am, October 31, 2015
4. Re: Healthcare for premature baby on Efate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 01, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu