We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kava people

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kava people

I bought back some kava (mild kava royale 250g) how do I mix it?

I'm itching to try it but don't want to muck it up and end up wasting it.

Another question what is the feeling you get when you drink this particular brand if anyone knows.

Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kava people

Hi there,

It sounds as though you've tried the dried kava before am I right?

What I think works is to try a little of it mixed with water and let it sit for a while then taste it. If you know what fresh kava tastes like you may be disappointed with the dried as it is quite different.

But if it tastes watery then add a bit more powder. If it tastes too bitter add a bit more water.

Less is more to begin with.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kava people

Thanks for that, I tried mixing some up a few months ago and it didn't do anything.

Have tried that kava from the kava bars only two shells and to be honest it didn't do anything only a numb tongue for a few minutes ( then I was sick for 5 days lol)

I will give it another go,

Should I mix it with warm water or cold?

And what is the effect of it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kava people

I've seen recommendations that you use water at 60C then whiz it in a blender for a good few minutes minimum.

Initially it will give you the numb tongue thing, but after that you should get a pleasant mellowing effect.

The best I've had was up on Bokissa in May, made up by locals there from crushed root, two shells and I lost interest in dinner, which is quite exceptional for me, I assure you :-) I have a sneaking suspicion that it was supplemented with some Klin Kava (instant) but can't be sure.

I've got a stack of it here I bought from Bon Marche 2 but the dinner guests that love it haven't been around in a while.

Cheerz Wabster.

Edit: In terms of quantity of powder to water my packet says 200g powder to 800ml water, blend for 10 minutes and strain through a cloth or double thickness of pantyhose :-)

Edited: 1:40 am, October 26, 2013
Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kava people

Great thanks for that will look forward to trying that

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kava people

And we strain it through a clean socking or chux to get rid of any sticks and bits. Warm water is best and leave it soak a while before straining. The mild one will be quiet subtle...but you will sleep well!

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
328 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kava people

If you cant stand the taste try mixing it a fruit juice slushy ;-)

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kava people

Great thank you am looking forward to trying it

vanuatu
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kava people

Hi

I would regularly take guests new to Kava on a nakamal tour through the village.

This is a typical story of an adult son and his father new to kava.

On our way back from the nakamal I had to follow behind the father who now had the wobbly boot, zig zagging with my arms ready in case he fell over. I've seen a few fall flat on their face. Which is also why it is not recommended after alcohol. Been there myself.

The next morning when I asked what they thought, the old fella said he enjoyed the tour but the kava had no effect. This is a typical reaction that I get a laugh out of.

Kava would be described as more of a body buzz, than something like marijuana or alcohol. It's main purpose is to relax the body. Many new to the effects are not sure what feeling they are looking for.and in my opinion they are too exited from the new experience to just relax. It's O.K to have a beer after the kava which is also quite common now in the nakamals.

Another thing is kava will not keep so only mix what you intend to use straight away.

Cheers

Edited: 1:49 am, October 29, 2013
9. Re: Kava people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu