We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

I 'm scared ! I want a lovely holiday in Vanuatu and I'm admitting I'm too scared to book it myself Help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Why would it be a problem booking a package? Most first timers do exactly that for good reasons, as all research can't be done from the armchair haha. I'd suggest you make the first trip your reconnoitre trip, figure the lay of the land and establish if you want to visit again. Then having the experience you can book your own flights accommodation and transfers.

But just do it :-) Vanuatu is not far away and who knows what discoveries lie ahead there for you,

Cheeerz Wabster.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Leonie, if you can work a computer, you can book a holiday. Wabster gives good advice - if you are too nervous to go it totally alone, then do have a look at packages and book in one swoop.

There are many varied places to stay ranging from basic locally-owned bungalows up to more luxurious resorts. It all depends on what type of holiday you want. Have a look at the accommodation possibilities here on trip advisor at the top of the page in the green tabs. Air Vanuatu I think offer packages, so have a look at their website, get an idea of prices of airfares and see if you have good savings with packages. If not, you can easily book flights with either Air Vanuatu or Virgin, and then phone the accommodation you like the look of and book direct. It isn't difficult at all, and it feels good to have planned the holiday you want, not the one an agent wants to sell you. Not to mention saving money!

Feel free to ask questions here, as most regular posters book their own holidays all the time.

Cheers and have fun, Barbara

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Leonie, it would also help if you told us what your idea of a good holiday in Vanuatu would be. That way, people can get an understanding of your priorities and offer some specific advice. However, I have travelled to and lived in many places around the world and Vanuatu would be one of the easiest and safest places to travel. Good luck with your planning!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Hi Leonie

Have a look at a few packages..http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/specials-offers/holiday-specials/holiday-packages/vanuatu/

Booking it all as a package would be easiest for you if you are a bit nervous.

A trip like this would give you a feel for the place then next time you could book it all yourself as you will want to come back and do anything you missed out on first time round!

Have fun planning!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Thanks !

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Thanks, Okay , Well we are hard working Australians in our early 50's, no kids at home, attracted to the wonderful small child free idea . We like relaxation and peaceful areas. Man into sleeping and relaxing a touch over concerned with air con'.... Woman less worried in general but a touch fussed about clean, comfortable beds. So apparently that means higher cost but I think air con in September is probably less of a worry if it's balanced with beautiful sea breezes and beach or views , quite comfortable rooms and happiness. I do love good coffee, i.e not instant, in the morning and have been known to get up and walk for a real coffee! We think around Port Villa is probably best for our 1st visit. Love peaceful remote holidays but don't want to be a captured audience with little option but to spend a fortune we don't have atm So far I like the sound of Sunset Bungalows. We wanted to do the Tanna + volcano tour as well but feel we cant quite afford that this 1st time and only have 7 or 8 days I am a massage therapist and love the idea of a good massage while I'm there too. If any one has recommendations there I'd be grateful .

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Breakas and Mangoes are also kid free (I have 2 small kids and comletely support the idea of a kid free hotel). I have not stayed at either but Breakas is right on a beach and in a beautiful location just out of town. Personally I don't think you need air con in September especially if you are near the sea as there is nearly always a cool breeze at this time of year. Coffee here is fantastic - Tanna Coffee is readily available in all cafes and you can buy it in the supermarket if you want to make your own or take some home (but pack it in your checked luggage not your hand luggage). There are a few places in town that do massage but I have heard mixed reviews about all of them but have not tried any myself yet. Lots of people have recommended Lotus Day Spa but they have changed hands recently and food has really gone downhill - not sure about the day spa though, maybe someone with recent experience can contribute. Vanuatu is a great place and it is very easy to travel here

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

I looked at Breakas and got a bit confused there is Surfside Breakas Beach and Breakas Beach Resort I noticed Will research further but figure they are different ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

Hi Leonie

We too are around your age and always go to adult only resorts. We've been to Breakas a number of times. Surfside at Breakas used to belong to Breakas but was sold several years ago and is now separate. It's self catering apartment style accommodation and does cater for families. Breakas on the other hand is adult only, and the individual Fares are scattered in the gardens and the beachfront. We always book a beachfront fare, you get the sea breeze and don't need aircon. Have a look at Breakas web site and in the Gallery there's an aerial shot .showing Breakas amongst the garden and the larger Surfside units along the beach.

Good luck with your planning

10. Re: DIY Holidays / Booking my own holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 03, 2014