We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

QLD, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

My husband and I are coming to Vanuatu in April next year and it's my dream to do the active volcano tour. I've heard the advice to do the night time tour but just want some advice on what tour companies are good? We want to fly from Port Vila with a good company and stay somewhere decent. What accommodation is good?

Any info and advice would be great!

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Port Vila
Port Vila
Efate, Vanuatu
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

Hi

Have a look at:

vanuatu-hotels.vu/Overnight_Volcano_Package_…

I would stay more than one night though to see the rest of the island and just in case the weather is not good to get to the volcano if you are limited to one night.

Also don't expect 5* accommodation on the island.. just clean simple bungalows with fantastic natural scenery.

Edited: 4:20 pm, December 26, 2011
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

Hi,

My husband and I stayed at Rocky Ridge Bungalows when we were in Tanna (April 2011). http://rockyridgebungalows.wordpress.com/ . I quite enjoyed it - it was quite basic and there is only electricity by a generator between 6pm and 10pm (no ceiling fans or fridge). Tom, the owner, organised a trip to the volcano (and any other trips we wanted to do) when we arrived. It was basically a driver from the local village. It was a long bumby drive (as the volcano was on the other side of the island). Our driver told us a bit about himself and the volcano (although his english was just ok). We saw guests who were staying the the White Grass Resort which is just up the road from Rocky Ridge and they also just organised the trip when they arrived (and I think they also had a driver from the local village). Prices were similar between the two.

I agree with PeaceAndLight about trying to stay more than 1 night if you can - we were quite lucky to have a clear night and it was amazing.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
Level Contributor
212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

it's not the sort of place to fly in fly out and say you've seen the volcano. We met people who had done that and they didn't enjoy the place, they really short changed themselves of a great experience. We stayed at friendly bungalows on the eastern side of the island, not too far from the volcano. Basic bungalows, but with flush toilets (luxury) and great hospitality and food - I'd definitely recommend them. They provided us and 2 others with a driver and we did a tour of that part of the island during the day and ended up at the volcano then back to the bungalows for the most amazing crayfish & cream sauce I've ever had, Wherever you decide to stay, make sure you have 2 nights and when visiting the volcano go up there around dusk and then stay for the darkness to decend, it's quite magical experiencing then. I'm glad that we stayed on the east side as it's late and of course dark when you come off the mountain so if you are staying on the west, then it's a 1 1/2 hour journey in the pitch black on some very unfriendly roads (by that I mean, massive pot holes) The local drivers seem proficient in avoiding tthem, but it's more comfort to "see them coming" in the daytime than get knocked around at night as you sit on the back of a 4WD. It's great fun and an amazing experience, enjoy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

We overnighted on Tanna in 2004 - and I wholeheartedly agree that it was way too short a time. I really wish we had stayed longer. 2 nights is a minimum.

But however long you stay, Mt Yasur is an amazing experience.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Yasur
Mount Yasur
788 Reviews
Tanna Island, Vanuatu
toowoomba
Level Contributor
103 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

We have only just got back from Tanna with a group of two families with children ranging from 8 to 19 and had a ball. It was the highlight of our trip to Vanuatu.

We stayed two nights and it was far too short. We stayed at Port Resolution Yacht Club and it was an excellent location with views over the harbour and a 5 minute walk to one of the best swimming beaches in the world for young children as it was like a protected lagoon with small waves coming in.

The accommodation was in basic bungalows with power for only a few hours at night however the food cooked by Esther was great and everybody was friendly.

We were picked up by Werry from the airport and taken to the volcano by another villager. The volcano was awesome but you have to be able to stay at night to make it worthwhile. I will shortly be posting a more fulsome travel report on the Tanna forum so all that I will say is make sure you go and stay for at least two nights at PRYC.

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

vegeT,

Looking forward to your report!

How long is the trip from the Yacht Club to the volcano?

toowoomba
Level Contributor
103 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

They will try and tell you 20 minutes but it was more like 40 minutes (but well worth it as a beautiful location).

It took over 2 hours to get to PRYC from the airport (but once again, so worth it). As you will read in my report, the locals seriously underestimate time and distance over there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

Thats exactly why I asked you! LOL!

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

I look forward to your report. We visited Port Resolution 3 times by private boat and got to know several of the families. Also three trips to the volcano...awesome!

I took a picture of Mt Yasur from the ash field, the ash cloud from the volcano has a face in it.....not photo shopped.

I also agree, one night is not nearly enough.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Yasur
Mount Yasur
788 Reviews
Tanna Island, Vanuatu
10. Re: Mt Yasur Volcano Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu