We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

Planning a trip to Vanuatu. Anyone know how much money I should take for a week for two adults.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

Are you staying in Port Vila or elsewhere?

Are you self catering ?

Are you planning tours??

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

Planning to stay in port villa but can you suggest anywhere else?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

How long is a piece of string? There are so many variables, Question7..Anni has got it off to a good start.

Do a lot of looking around - google "Vanuatu", look on here for suggestions about places to stay, things to do, wade through a few threads with appropriate titles or do a search. Location and type of accommodation - near a beach, in the town, secluded honeymoon type spot, busy resort, holiday rental, local bungalows? Accom. standards - aircon, fan, restaurant, pool, basic but in a beautiful location? Food - self-catering, eating at top restaurants, cheap restaurants, local markets? Activities - adventures, local culture, water activities, pampering, pure relaxation?

It is impossible to give you much of an idea until we have more to go on. I again encourage you to have a long look through this forum, top questions, itineraries and accommodation, and give us some ideas to help you with.

Cheers, Barbara

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

Hi Question7,

Perhaps you might like to work on a rough budget of about $100 per person per day. That would give you plenty for food and tours. If it is too steep then bring it back a bit by eating in or relaxing at your accommodation choice on some of the days.

Vila (on Efate) is a good place to start exploring Vanuatu. If you are wanting to really get away from it all and don't mind spending a bit extra in flights then somewhere like Oyster Island on Santo (Pekoa airport) is another lovely option.

My advice is one week, one island. Pick the one you want and go there and make the most of it.

If the excitement of a volcano sounds too good to miss then Tanna would be your pick.

Your accommodation options might make a difference to your planning though. Inclusive breakfasts or full meal packages can be had at various places. Fully self-contained units are also available.

There are some stellar bargains around at the moment. The best ones I've seen were for Mangoes or The Holiday Inn flying Air Vanuatu. Both good choices.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Wollongbar
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

we are staying at moorings hotel for 2 weeks breakfeast included. how much money do we need to take

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

You can get food at the same prices as in Australia eg $10 lunch at a take away or a $70 pp seafood buffet for dinner plus drinks. So it depends on how you like to eat.

Tours cost from $40 -$100 e.g. for day trip per person around the island would be about $75, a trip on a sailboat or small motor boat to another island with activities there and a meal would be about $100, a local snorkel barge trip would be about $40 pp. Bus fares around town are 150vt (about $1.70) further afield to the Cascades 400vt.....you get the idea.

Swimming in the ocean in front of Moorings isnt that flash (they have a small pool) but you can catch a bus to Hideaway Island marine park, pay 1500vt as a day guest, buy lunch there etc. Lots of activities are cheaper if you just catch a bus there instead of going on an organised tour.

Bring AUD and change it in Port Vila at Goodies. Don't buy vatu in Australia or you will loose about 20%. Have a great trip!

7. Re: How Much Money Should I Take to Vanuatu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 31, 2014