We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

Vanuatu celebrates Independence from July 30 for a week. If you are visiting at this time of year it is certainly a celebration worth checking out. The activities usually get underway in the afternoons and continue to the early hours of the morning. With music, dance and other displays the Ni Vanuatu people celebrate with gusto. There are many little stores where you can buy local food, softdrinks, local beer “Tusker” and you can try Kava as well. Every community has a separate celebration so there are several places you can visit. If you are coming to Port Vila during this time and are a light sleeper it may be wise to bring some ear plugs if you find your hotel close to one of these celebrations as they rock on until the wee hours of the morning. Come together with the locals celebrating their independence with pride and join the party…

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

I will be in Vanuatu during the celebrations Didnt book this for the Independence celebrations it just happens to fall on our 20th wedding anniversary so our visit will be very interesting.

Will celebrations mainly be centered in the town?

We are staying at Le Legon so I dont expect we will be too close to the noise .It certainly sounds like a fun time to be visiting. Will anything be happening during the day or will it be mostly at night?

Would definately like to visit some of the communities celebrating.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

Hi MC,

All the local string bands will be out in force and the party will be both a daytime and nighttime event.

J

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
3. Re: Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

I have not seen a program of activities as yet but if you contact the Vanautu Tourism Office they may have the program already. (www.vanuatu.travel) is their contact address. There are several venues around Port Vila there will be one at Independence Park and the Erakor Community Celebration will be near Korman Stadium. Your friendly resort staff will be happy to let you know where to go. I hope you enjoy your time in this incredible island paradise.

sydney
Level Contributor
342 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

we will be there from the 1st august for 1 week so will be looking forward to the celebrations (didnt know they were on) will know doubt be celebration with them will try & find out the activities before we go

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

Hi Sydneyshaz,

You don't need to find out too much before you go. Just pick up a Vanuatu Independent or Daily Post newspaper when you get to town and they will have all the information listed there.

There will be people from all the islands and music everywhere until the wee small hours of the morning, as well as custom dancing groups at the show grounds. Even magic men to see.

You'll hear lots of singing and string bands. You could just hail any bus or taxi and ask them to take you to the celebrations.

I'm rather looking forward to it myself.

Happy travels,

Jen

6. Re: Vanuatu Independence Celebrations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu