We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any tips??

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
any tips??

Just booked an 8 night stay at Iririki Island Resort for me and my gorgeous boy to have a romantic getaway.

Any advice or tips??

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any tips??

You will love it

The only real thing that comes to mind is Dont buy duty free at the airport. It is so much cheaper in Villa. For eg. We got a 1.75L bottle of johnnie walker for $19AUS and a carton of cigarettes are around $23AUS. The best place in Villa in Fung Kuei its at the far end of town.

Change your money at Goodies, they usually have the best rates

Hope this helps

Emma

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any tips??

Thanks, so I shouldn't change my money in Australia before leaving?? I usually get my currency from Australia Post.

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any tips??

We take travellers cheques and exchange them at goodies. you will get a much better rate there than anywhere.

As the previous post said, fung kuei (spelling?) is the best place to get your duty free. It is on the main street through vila (lini highway) at the airport end of town.

Take reef shoes with you. You will need them. We paid $10 a pair for ours at a sports store. You can hire snorkels, mask and flippers but we always take our own mask and snorkels just to make sure they fit properly and for hygiene. I have had mine for years but last year my partner got his from kmart and they arent too bad.

No matter what, you will enjoy it. I cant wait to get there again.

Jody

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any tips??

The exchange rate here in Australia is REALLY bad compared to what you get in Vila. We liked to change our money at the 7/11, they had about the same rate as Goodies but really good airconditioning in the shop!

Next time we go we wont bother changing money in advance, we will just withdraw from the atm at the ANZ or Westpac in town, you can use your normal eftpos card as long as it has a cirrus logo on it.

Definitely take reef shoes, lots of sunscreen and a good first aid/ medical kit. All those things are very expensive in Vila.

Snacks and softdrinks are very expensive as well. You can't take in food, but I think sweets are ok.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any tips??

I forgot!!!

The most important thing to take is a sense of fun and some patience, if you leave those behind you might find Island time a bit trying, with them you will have a blast!

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any tips??

Thanks so much!! I have snorkel gear at home so I'll take my own and we also have reef shoes which I didn't even think about taking but now I will.

I'll just take my cash with me and change it when I get there, sounds good. But will I need some money to start me off? We are staying at Iririki Island Resort and i'm not sure how much it will cost to get to the Goodies or 7/11. I don't want to be broke.

We've always travelled to the USA, mainly Florida, so this is our first Island holiday and can't wait till May!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any tips??

HI,

Everytime I have been there I have never taken vatu with me. Since you are staying at Iririki I assume that you have transfers included. Once you have settled into to your room, catch the free ferry across to the main land and its a very easy walk to Goodies or 7/11 from the wharf. They are both near each other.

You will have a great time, just relax and have fun

Emma

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any tips??

I do have transfers, and thanks for the info i'll do what you guys have said.

9. Re: any tips??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 21, 2009