We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honiara Airport Questions

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Honiara Airport Questions

I have a short layover of about 45 minutes scheduled at the airport. I am hoping to get off the plane for a few minutes to stretch my legs.

I have two questions:

1. Does the airport have WiFi or internet access? With no web site, I am going to assume no until I hear otherwise.

2. Are there any historical highlights I can dart over to see at the airport? I'm a history buff who really appreciates the opportunity to be at the airport that was such an important WWII flashpoint.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honiara Airport Questions

If you walk around landside outside the terminal there are some war memorial plaques - like the tomb of an unkown US Marine. There's also an unusual item of ground equipment out there - one anti-aircraft gun you can walk up to. Airside you can stil see the remains of the WW2 Control Tower built by the US forces. If you're really lucky there;s a guy there who runs Solomon Islands Seaplane who may well have onn station his immaculate Beech 18 - which he still runs as a charter airliner, alongside a Grumman Goose amphibian of similar vintage. It's a fascinating place. Cheers and best wishes, Alan

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honiara Airport Questions

Thanks for the reply. I have already returned from my trip but hopefully your advice helps someone else.

It should be noted that if you are just making a stop in between Nadi & Port Moresby, you are strongly discouraged from going through Customs to go outside the terminal. You are handed a transit pass and directed to a transit lounge where they comically circle you through a metal detector. And be warned that personal hygiene is apparently not a concern for locals. The lounge can have a pungent smell.

On my return trip through Honiara, I decided to exit through the Departure Terminal. I had to talk the customs officer into letting my pass through (he turned away several other transit passengers) by telling him my grandfather was a WWII veteran and I really wanted to see the memorial (which was true incidentally). After finally granting me a visa I had to go through the entire song & dance during baggage check I was able to head out of the airport. There seemed to be some concern that I may be trying to deliver or pick up some contraband. I guess I can't blame them for being suspicious under the circumstances.

The anti-aircraft gun you referenced was to the left as you exit the terminal. There is a also a small plaque for Fijians who died in the Battle of Guadalcanal. But the highlight os the area surrounding the airport is the Solomon Islands Memorial Garden. It is a small cementary with military markers I believe for Solomonians who died in the conflict. But there are several U.S. military monuments in the center of the garden. It is well worth the effort of passing through customs to check it out. And you can get your passport stamped as well. Just be aware that the stopover doesn't last long so you need to hustle.

I saw the WWII-vintage control tower & hangars and some of the planes you referenced. But I didn't have time to get a closer look.

It should be noted that the Solomons are caught up in some skirmishes that border on being a full-blown civil war. So security coming and going from airport is tight.

3. Re: Honiara Airport Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Honiara
More Honiara Topics