We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any place with fewer mosquitoes?

San Francisco...
5 posts
1 review
any place with fewer mosquitoes?

I'm extremely attractive to mosquitoes (despite clothing, repellent, etc.), get bitten a lot, and react quite strongly to their bites. Am particularly concerned because of malaria risk. Are there any places in the Solomons with noticeably fewer mosquitoes? We'll be there in July. Thank you!

Solomon Islands
Level Contributor
43 posts
1. Re: any place with fewer mosquitoes?

Hi,

Hard question to answer as risk of recomending a place could be a downpour of rain the week or two beforehand to mean plenty of mosquitoes when you arrive... were you looking at seeing/doing anything inparticular in the Solomons? We could then advise places in that area that may be more comfortable for your visit and better mosquito contingencies.

Thanks..

San Francisco...
5 posts
1 review
2. Re: any place with fewer mosquitoes?

Thanks for the quick response! I love snorkelling, kayaking, and beach combing. It would be really nice to be someplace where we have a bit of opportunity to see what village life is like. It would be great if there are any opportunities to see/hear any local music and dance performances (besides the Festival, which is a big production and may not reflect everyday music/dance experiences of the local communities).

Right about the rain, of course. Places that tend to be windy can be good, for blowing the mosquitoes away?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
5 posts
1 review
3. Re: any place with fewer mosquitoes?

Any ideas from anyone? Thanks.

Munda, Solomon...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
4. Re: any place with fewer mosquitoes?

My wife and I recently joined the team of staff at Zipolo Habu Resort on Lola Island in the Western Province (I say this upfront as it would be remiss of me not to point out my connection).

An island, particularly one with few inhabitants might be worth considering. One of the owners here has been living on Lola Island since the late 80's and it's my understanding that he has rarely been affected by malaria. There are mosquitoes at our resort, but their low chances of carrying malaria is considered acceptable to most (compared perhaps to a more densely settled area). We also have friends working at the local hospital in Munda who report seeing very few cases of malaria these days - that's not to say that it's not still around, or couldn't build up again.

All of our bungalows have mosquito nets as a precaution, as do most bungalow style accommodation providers in the Solomons. Plenty of island-stay options to consider, so just run a search on google if you're looking for some options.

Also, apart from repellent, there are a wide range of anti-malarial prophylaxis available as an additional precaution. Perhaps talk to your doctor about what might be right for you.

Best of luck with your planning.

Ben and Uma

Zipolo Habu Resort, Munda, Western Province.

Bourke, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
178 reviews
5. Re: any place with fewer mosquitoes?

I have only just seen this request, and am probably a bit late, but there are two places I have visited in Solomon Islands that are free of malaria. One is the artificial islands of the Lau and Langa Langa Lagoons in Malaita. Mosquitos can't fl across the water from the mainland.

The other is the Reef islands in the Easternmost Temotu Province. There is a resort there called Pigeon Island.

6. Re: any place with fewer mosquitoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 21, 2013