We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anti-malarial mediactions

Washington, DC
1 post
Save Topic
anti-malarial mediactions

Does anyone have a good recommendation for what type of anti-malarial medication is best prescribed for a dive trip in the Solomons? It needs to be something that would not be depth (pressure) sensitive or severely affect blood pressure or alertness.

Denmark/German
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anti-malarial mediactions

Hi, I am just back from the Solomons and did some diving there as well. I just learnt to dive, but it is hard to imagine it can get any more beautiful! My deepest dive went to about 40 meters. I took Malarone and had no problems with it. I have no information about how this drug is fr depths to 75m or so, if you want to do some serious wreck diving. I got to know from a friend who lives there, that Malaria is resistant to Chloroquine and Doxycycline. Lariam you cannot take when diving and my personal opinion and experience to it - I would never take it again, since it has all too many severe side effects (depression and all sorts). Doctors still prescribe Chloroquine for the Solomons, I have no idea why!

I took Malarone twice now and this time with diving and can really recommend that, it is expensive, but i find worth it! A tip, if you stopover in Singapore it is cheaper than in Europe and you could go to the Tan Tock Seng walk-in-clinic to get it there.

Ok for now, hope that is of some help. The Solomons is an adorable and magical place, both above and under water.

Nicole

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anti-malarial mediactions

Check out the malaria info about the Solomon Islands from the Centers for Disease Control:

* http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/pdf/travelers.pdf

* www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp…

Diver's Alert Network (DAN) has published articles stating that Lariam (mefloquine) is not safe for divers because its side-effects are too similar to decompression illness. I can no longer find that info on the US DAN site, but here's similar info from DAN South Africa: http://www.dansa.org/medical/malaria_prev.htm

Note: another poster says that the Solomons have doxycyckine-resistant strains. According to the CDC, that's not true.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anti-malarial mediactions

Everyone is different. I've used Lariam while diving all over the world for the past 20 years and it's never given me any problems.

You could always pay to take a couple (one per week) at home and see how you react to it.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anti-malarial mediactions

I am not a diver, but have lived in Solomon Islands for 5 of the last 15 years and visit regularly.

Malaria in Solomon islands is definitely chloroquine-resistant, but I have never heard of doxycycline resistance, and it is the drug I use if my trip is 3 months or less (the limit of a tourist visa.) You do need to be aware that it lowers your resistance to sunburn, and if you are using it for more than 2 weeks, take acidophilus tablets (yogurt is not available in the islands, except rarely in one or 2 shops in Honiara).