We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfing in solomons

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
surfing in solomons

Hi there, can anybody help me out with some advice.

I am hoping to go on my first surf trip ever and the Solomons looks like the place I'd like to visit. The only problem is that I don't really have a clue which resort/trip to go on.

I'm looking at Gizo or Maravagi. Has anybody been to either or both? I would really love some advice/help to make my trip have more chance of being awesome.

Much appreciated,

Lewis

byron bay
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: surfing in solomons

G'day Lewis. My Brother and I stayed at Maravagi for a week in early march 2011. We had a great time there. Excellent waves, just an easy paddle out from the beach. The local people were very friendly. The accommodation is basic, but comfortable. A real getaway if that is what you are after. Uncrowded world class waves. My brother and I were the only guests in the resort for the week we were there. Loads of potential if you are willing to explore. We will be going back same time next year. Cheers. Ric.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: surfing in solomons

Hey Ric, sounds pretty bloody good - were afta a bit of remoteness but not too quiet and isloated. Maravagi sounds good.

hey were the meals all fish and seafood - my mate isnt the biggest fish fan.

Cheers for your info mate - much appreciated!!

Lewis

byron bay
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: surfing in solomons

Hey Lewis. You get a choice of a couple different options at meal times. There is no tv or radios or cd players at the resort. Take a few books and some snorkelling gear. If you are a surfer you will enjoy yourself. When are you thinking of going?

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: surfing in solomons

Hey Ric, thanks for the info, sounds like they dont have any power...

yeah going for surfing but happy to read and laze around when not on the board.

Hoping to go over in November - which is the start of the season apparently.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: surfing in solomons

G'day Lewis.

check out www.papatura.com. This has only been going since 2009. I have not been there myself, nor am I a hard core surfer but planning early 2012 with a bunch of surfers (I'm going for the fishing.).

They have aussie power plugs and all surfing possies are via boat.

There's a handful of reviews on this site if you sniff around.

Cheers, NS

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: surfing in solomons

S'pose you've seen this:

Solwata Surf Camp

http://www.surfsolomons.com/

Solomon Islands
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: surfing in solomons

For a guided surf tour I recomend the guys at Surf Solomons also. Tony and his team has been running tours over summer there for a while plus gets you to some remote spots in Malaita.

See also welkamsolomons.com/todo/surfing/index.html

Other good surf spots are up at Gizo who also have a bit more upmarket small resorts and bungalows. For more info on western province see:

welkamsolomons.com/places/west/gizo/main.html

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: surfing in solomons

Also recommend Tony at Surf Solomons for his local knowledge.

I love Maravagi, but the price of the meals was a shock, as they are not included, but there is no other option.

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: surfing in solomons

For surfing would highly recommend Tony Jensen at surf solomons. Papatura is also getting good reports. Maravagi is good if you get good waves, but can be sketchy in terms of customer service and pricing transparency.

10. Re: surfing in solomons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, May 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Solomon Islands