We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reef sharks and crocodiles

Sydney
1 post
1 review
reef sharks and crocodiles

We will be travelling to SI in March 09 and will be staying at Uepi and the Wilderness Lodge. Since booking I have heard about problems with reef sharks and crocodiles. Are these a problem? We will be there with our 4 year old daughter and have never been to the pacific islands or wildnerness areas before. Can anyone let me know what concerns we should have.

Many thanks.

Canberra
2 posts
1. Re: reef sharks and crocodiles

I havent been to Wilderness lodge but there are no problems to worry about at Uepi.

There are reef sharks everwhere in the Solomons but they are pretty timid and i doubt your 4 year old daughter will come into contact with them.

As far as the crocs go at Uepi - there are some reported sightings in the mangrove areas well away from the resort area.

You will be fine at Uepi !

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
101 reviews
2. Re: reef sharks and crocodiles

Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful place. I spent two weeks diving there. Sharks are mostly a problem for the spearfishermen. Frankly, I think you´d be lucky to see a shark. Once you get there, you will see the island children swimming and paddling about in the lagoon without concern.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
101 reviews
3. Re: reef sharks and crocodiles

Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful place. I spent two weeks diving there. Sharks are mostly a problem for the spearfishermen. Frankly, I think you´d be lucky to see a shark. Once you get there, you will see the island children swimming and paddling about in the lagoon without concern.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4. Re: reef sharks and crocodiles

Hi, we stayed at Wilderness and it's an amazing place, you will love it. We were in the Solomons for two weeks, fishing and snorkeling and never saw a shark while doing either. We were one week at Mavo lodge which is on the island of Ramata and one a Wilderness. We had heard that there is a drop off by Uepi that you can look over and see sharks. Didn't do it ourselves but you wouldn't be taking your daughter out that far anyway. If you see the local children swimming you can be sure it's safe. Enjoy, we are going back again this year we loved it so much.

We were recommended to take precaution against Malaria, Hep A and Typhoid. Have a great trip!!

5. Re: reef sharks and crocodiles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 17, 2009