We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

1 post
1 review
Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Working in the Solomon Islands for the last 18 months, I have had the opportunity twice to jump aboard the Chemistry (Paradise Crusies) with Gavin, Luciana and puppy Luna to explore the magical islands and lagoons in the Western Province of the Solomon Islands. If you're thinking of visiting, I think sailing is a brilliant way (and without hassle) to truly explore untouched beaches, participate in local life buying produce a villages along the way and relaxing under the stars on the front of the Cat with a glass of wine in hand. The boat is a 60ft catamaran, which gives ample space (even when you're over 6ft!).

The first time I went sailing with Gavin, we spent a few nights in the marvellous Vona Vona Lagoon with the giant extinct volcanic island Kolombangara as our backdrop. Gavin knows snorkelling places all through the Western Province. In the lagoon near Munda, when snorkelling with Luciana I saw schools of parrotfish, red and yellow corals, brightly coloured nudibranch and all in temperate water you never want to leave! Getting to the snorkelling spot we anchored nearby and took the small OBM boat to an island, giving the opportunity to explore the natural beauty we had been sailing through.

The Solomons has beautiful food if you're creative and passionate cook like Luciana. I would have liked to stayed longer just to experience the whole menu. Her Brazilian style cerviche with fresh Yellow Fin Tuna caught off the boat was definitely my favourite/recommendation.

Best thing is these trips are accessible by airports in Gizo, Munda and Seghe (fly in between them or from the capital). Next trip, after seeing their photos, I hope to visit the province of Chosieul, which you can fly into Taro - all from Honiara. On a budget you can reach all the islands/main villages Gavin can visit by taking the passenger ship. An adventure in itself, at 26 hours if you go from Honiara all the way to Gizo, but as short as 8-12 hours if you stop at it's first port of Seghe. I know the Chemistry does trips through the Marovo Lagoon - the longest saltwater lagoon in the world (fly or boat to Seghe) which is known for its diving.

Even as a 'temporary local' in the Solomons, aboard the Chemistry I was able to enjoy the real beauty and have local experiences I wouldn't otherwise enjoy. These trips were a real opportunity to truly see and be in the Solomons. I found it easiest to reach Gavin and Luciana on their Facebook page - https:/… but there is also the website http://svchemistry.net/.

17 replies to this topic
Balingup, Australia
1 post
1. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Hi We are also coming for a holiday to the Solomon's in Marchand do like the idea of sailing around the islands. Thanks for the tip I will try to find them on the net with thanks Lila

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
2. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Just to echo the praise for Gavin and Luciana onboard the SV Chemistry. We were a family of four - including two young girls aged 11 and 13 and we had a magnificent 3 nights mooching around the lagoons with them.

We were a little wary of how our girls would fare with the confines of a boat but Gavin and Luciana are wonderful hosts running a spotless and well-equipped cat, great food tailored to your needs (yes Luciana, your chocolate cake recipe is now in our household too) and they couldn't have done more to make us feel welcome and at ease.

We had some great cruising and snorkelling trips but the highlight was probably just spending time in a village playing soccer and volleyball, all because of a wooden carving bowl.

If you fancy a slightly different - a quiet and respectful way to see a bit of the Solomon's, then SV Chemistry is a great choice.

Melbourne Central
1 post
2 reviews
3. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Another vote for SV Chemistry.

Spent a week on board.

The food was amazing, fresh food delivered by canoe everyday. No preservatives, no farmed fish, no artificial fertilers and seeds. Luciana can really cook!

Amazing view. Everyday just space, quiet, crystal clear water, perfect temperature.

Friendly locals always up for a chat if you want.

Amazing experience!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Thanks Ashleigh ... what is a rough (very approximate) cost estimate please? I couldn't find anything on their site.

Cheryl

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
5. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Cheryl, We have done a couple of trips with Gav and Luciana through the Sols and New Guinea. Best holidays and fantastic company. Try https://svchemistry.com - you will find the pricing at the end of the page. It is very affordable and we will be back in December to Lola Island with the Chemistry crew.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Hi, I am looking at going sailing on Chemistry next June with a couple of friends. We are not sure just how many days would be best. I'm thinking 5-7. I am from Brisbane and have done many sail trips in the Whitsundays and love being on a boat visiting pristine beaches and snorkelling. Which town is easiest ,and cheapest to get to from Honiara to get on the boat?

Sue.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Hi. How many days do you recommend to be on the boat? I am thinking 5-7 may be enough. Would like to also have a couple of days at a nice inexpensive beachside location. Any ideas?

Sue from Brisbane.

Gizo, Solomon...
10 posts
8. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Hi Ashley, tahnk you very much. It is always great to have you onboard. Just updating our contats: numbahonesail@gmail.com and www.svchemistry.com

Gizo, Solomon...
10 posts
9. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Thanks a lot! We love to share our life style! Just udating our contacts: numbahonesail@gmail.com and www.svchemistry.com

Gizo, Solomon...
10 posts
10. Re: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!

Thanks Peter! Always a pleasure to have you onboard! Looking forward to the next one. Cheers, Gav and Luciana

Reply to: Sailing the Solomon Islands - best way to see and be in it!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted