We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

Hey guys,

I've recently been reading about the crocodile problem in the solomon islands (as of 2015/2016, up to 50 attacks on humans per year have been reported.

Is this risk in beach areas also? Or only in saltwater lakes? What about freshwater lakes and the waters near resort areas (Fatboys, etc)?

What about diving with Dive Gizo- could you encounter a crocodile on a dive?

Really worried about whether I can swim at all when I go... I'll be there (in Gizo) for a month in February as a medical student. Any advice appreciated!

10 replies to this topic
5 posts
1 review
1. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

Lynette F

We have just returned from two weeks around Gizo and there is absolutely no need to worry about crocodiles. We swam everyday including around fat boys and took our young daughter snorkelling everywhere. Just enjoy the paradise that is Gizo and the Western Province!

5 posts
1 review
2. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

Lynette F

We have just returned from two weeks around Gizo and there is absolutely no need to worry about crocodiles. We swam everyday and took our young daughter snorkelling everywhere. Just enjoy the paradise that it the Western Province!

Honiara, Solomon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

Absolutely no problem with crocs there... and if you go off track... just ask the locals where is a good place for a swim. Been here 9 years and never seen any in the wild. 😜

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
4. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

50 attacks per year is a fallacy ..I have never heard of any fatal attacks in all the years I have visited The West

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

Salt water crocodiles live in mangroves. Provided the place you swim or snorkel is away from mangroves, you

will be fine.

Cavtat, Croatia
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

I saw some pretty nasty looking sharks in the sea there.... and a lot of them. I wouldn't go swimming in the sea at all, although if you're crazy enough there are people that do that.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
731 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

As a diver and underwater photographer, who considers the Solomons one of the best destinations in the world, LOL to the "nasty sharks" comment!

You do NOT have to worry about sharks.

Re the crocs, I don't know. But there have been a lot of photos in the dive magazines lately. I don't know if it's because there's more of them, or its just the new trend (as I've seen plenty of the photos are also from Raja Ampat and Mexico).

I'm going next month, and I would love to see one and get a photo. I do however prefer to see him before he sees me ; )

p.s. Just in time to edit: I just realized the shark poster from Croatia is either joking or a troll. hmmm.

Edited: 2:55 pm, April 13, 2017
1 post
2 reviews
8. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

I have lived here two years and have had three run ins with crocodiles. Also locals will tell you there is nothing to worry about (because they don’t worry), while there are in fact crocodiles present.

San Francisco...
1 post
9. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

"Better safe than sorry". They're master predators.Chances are , if you're attacked, you wouldn't have seen it coming. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Crocs are out there, as are sharks. There are no barriers to keep them out, other than "cold temperatures. I had never heard of a croc attack in the Andaman islands, until a woman was killed in the water there. There was a shark attack a few days ago, off Fire Island, in NY, in only 2 feet of water. Probably a tiger sand shark. Considering all the 10's, if not 100's of millions of people or more, who swim in these oceans and seas, the chance of you getting attacked is very rare...until you're "in the wrong place at the wrong time." .

Edited: 10:02 pm, July 21, 2018
Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?

You are quite right re: won’t see it coming. My son and mates with Nat Geo filming had an episode 2 days ago ( Nov 27 2018) croc attacked one of them - got him in the head - but they managed to spear him dead (experienced divers spear-fishermen) Thank God it wasn’t a fatality.

So need to be super vigilant.

Reply to: Crocodile concern in solomon islands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted