We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

My husband and I are travelling to Solomon Islands in April. We will arrive in Honiara on a Saturday, and are trying to work out when boats leave for Gizo or Mondo, and also if we should head to Auki or Malaita first and then travel to the Western Province. We will have about 3 weeks there, so hoipefully will have enough time to experience many areas of the Solomons.

We love snorkling, kayaking, culture, mixing with the locals and are happy with budget accommodation.

Could we please have some advise on boats/ferrys - when and where they travel to etc.

Thanks heaps looking forward to any suggestions.

11 replies to this topic
Honiara, Solomon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Planes fly to both Munda and Gizo daily, taking less than an hour. Whereas the ferry goes every Sunday as far as I know and takes 24 hours to reach either Gizo or Munda as it stops at every port on the way thru. (This ferry can be booked in Honiara if you want a cabin or by just fronting up to the ship if your happy to sit outside.) the western Provence is by far the diving capital of the Solomon Islands and is well set up for tourists - sometimes a bit rustic but with an untouched charm all of its own. Malaita is not so set for tourists, Auki lodge being the best accomedation and everything done in true island time. Not much in the way of diving but just chilled out Island life... The langalanga lagoon with its shell money is worth a visit from a cultural point of view and ferrys go three days a week (book at the office in Honiara or front up at the ship early) and planes everyday. So if one way breaks down. There's always another way to get back to the capital. Ask away and I'll try to answer any more questions you'd like to know. If you are going to the west then I'd recommend wilderness lodge on Gatukai island for an out of the way stop and Lola island for a little more upmarket retreat... Matakuri lodge in the Marovo Lagoon is beautiful tranquil and Ben and his wife are great company and have great food, nice basic accomodation outside showers etc pick up from Sege airport if you like and It's a short canoe ride to their place.

Edited: 5:11 pm, November 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

The boat from Honiara to Munda is called the "three sixty" leaves on Sunday only, a clean boat with a small shop that sell the basics like dried biscuits and tin tuna and sofe drink, that was expensive. ( you can take any food you like on the boat)

The boat left at 9am with the first stop at 7pm in the western Provence, from there hourly for a drop off. But can't buy food off the boat as everything is closed.

This is a 21 hour journey to Munda, long on a timber seat with a no alcohol policy and smoking only on the back of boat with betel-nut. On this trip there were 2 other tourists in about 100 locals on this trip and it gets lot busy in school holiday time as I was told.

On the way back it's the opposite leaving Munda at 8 am Tuesday stoping all day so you can get food at most stops, at local markets on the way.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Thank you so much for all the information. Your answer gave me a much better understanding of the boat trip. Good to know about the food as well.

One more question, travelling on the boat, do you get to see much of the other islands on the way up to Munda?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Thanks Amos,

We are starting to get excited about our trip now that we have different options. Thank you so much for your answer.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Hi, in fact the 360 does not go to Munda. There are two ferry options to Western Province. Anjeanette leaves the wharf in Honiara at 9pm Saturday, arriving Marovo Lagoon early Sunday. It's a big boat and "first class" accomodation is available, but bring your own mat. Anjeanette gets to Seghe at around 2 pm and Noro at 11 pm, and then Gizo.

Other option is Fair Glory which leaves Honiara at 9am Sunday, arriving Seghe at around midnight. At moment it has been temporarily replaced by Fair Lady, which is much faster and smaller, so space is sometimes limited. Fair Lady leaves at 9 am, gets to Seghe at 9.30pm. Onwards to Noro and Gizo.

We would recommend Evis Resort as a great NEW resort. They will pick you up from Seghe and take you to their island just 25 mins away (Nggatirana Island). Great Snorkelling off beach, comfy beds, good food. Check them out on Facebook. (Evis Resort, Nggatirana Island)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
6. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Hi there, I'm trying to get from Seghe (Uepi Island) up to Munda. Does anyone know ferry times/options? As far as I can tell from here there is a ferry on a Sunday, one that comes up from Honiara, but I was hoping to travel on a Wednesday or Thursday. I will be there late December. Thanks.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

A couple of times a week the airline does a hop from Seghe to Munda - check the timetable. There are a couple of ferries but they are unreliable - don't always follow a schedule. Try e-mailing Agnes Lodge in Munda for information. Otherwise you can rent a motor canoe at Seghe to take you to Munda, it's about 3 hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Can you describe the "first class" (for Anjeanette) and cabin (for Fair Lady) options?

Is it just a space on the deck amid the cargo, a bench or actually a seat? How bad is the pest situation/toilets/cleanliness and any food/hot water available?

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

Also - thanks for the timings going to Western province. Do you have the return timings for both boats from Gizo to Seghe to Honiara?

6 posts
1 review
10. Re: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands

how much does boat and plane travel cost?

Reply to: Advice on travelling around the Solomon Islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted