We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

Hello

Although I often read comments and reviews on Trip Advisor, this is my first time posting a question!

We are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children aged 7 and 5. We are planning a holiday to Samoa for the Qld June/July school holidays.

Last year we spent 9 nights in Fiji - 4 nights at Musket Cove and 5 nights at Shangri La. Completely different experiences and probably Musket Cove was our preferred place. We're not into Kids Club and found Shangri La a little too big.

So... I've been doing lots of research and think I have narrowed down our itinerary/plan to the following and would welcome any alterations, suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Fly Brisbane to Apia via Auckland. Stay the first night at Airport Lodge. Next day head to Savaii and stay 5 nights at Le Lagoto. Then come back to Upolo and stay 5 nights at Coconuts. Then have our last night at Airport Lodge (to make it easier to get to airport etc).

Some questions I've been wondering are...

1. What are the meals like at both Le Lagoto and Coconuts? Are they suitable for young children who are a fussy eaters?

2. Are the Bungalows at Le Lagoto ok for a family of 4 in terms of bedding and space? The same for the Coco Suite at Coconuts?

I appreciate your advice and comments.

Thanks in advance.

Natalie

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

Malo lava Natalie

Welcome to the Samoa Forum.

Your plan itinerary sounds great, you're doing everything in the right order and you're spending a good amount of time on both islands.

It's looking like being a very busy season this year so I would book your accommodation ASAP, I know some places are already booked out in June/July.

I've eaten at both Le Lagoto and Coconuts and both have great options for kids, mostly Western food like fish and chips, burgers, sandwiches etc so there should be something to satisfy the fussiest of kids.

I'll let someone else who has stayed at both comment on the size of the rooms.

Have a wonderful holiday

Manuia le aso

Deb

Adelaide
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

Hi Natalie,

Having stayed at the Shangri La in Fiji, I know that you will love the simplicity and beauty of Samoa.

Last year our family ( kids 14 & 16) stayed at LeLagoto. They had a single bed and a "roll away" - which was a fold up bed, so not very comfortable but would be fine for your youngest. There will be plenty of room for the four of you in the bungalow.

There's a fantastic pizza shop opposite LeLagoto, which is great when you want a relaxed and cheap meal. They even delivered pizza to us on the beach for lunch one day. The pool is not huge, but the lagoon is safe and the kids will love all the fish around their feet and also the kayaks are heaps of fun (just remember to put sunscreen on the tops of your legs :) )

We haven't stayed at Coconuts but have had several meals at Lupi's Bar, which is right next door. They are also a good option when you have fussy eaters. Great location, good food & right on one of the most beautiful beaches.

Enjoy Samoa, it is a really special place, and if you don't see everything this time, I'm sure you will be back.

Jody

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

Hi Natalie,

We stayed and Coconuts last June and had the most wonderful time. They have a pizza oven there but it was not used the whole time we were there. You probably should email them and ask if it's in use. We made great friends with a family that had a very fussy eater (9 year old girl) and they did not have any problems with the food on offer. We did eat a couple of times at Lupe's next door. We were advised that the hygiene wasn't the best here but we did not have any problems. You can also walk a little further along the beach from Coconut's past Lupe's to Sinalei resort for food options too.

We stayed in the overwater fales so I'm sorry but I can comment on the Coco Suite.

I'm not sure that you would need to stay at the Airport Lodge on the return trip. The Coconuts staff will take you to the airport anytime of day/night, it's part of the accommodation deal. If you are flying with Virgin though make sure you take some muesli bars or the like for the return trip on the plane. We were taken to the airport from Coconuts, leaving there at 3am and expecting to be able to buy food on the plane for our 7 hour flight to Sydney. "No sorry, said the airhostes, we do not restock the plane with food in Samoa" so we did not eat anything from our wonderful 'last supper' at Coconuts till we arrived at the Sydney food court after 1pm the following day!!

I would go back to Samoa and Coconut's tomorrow if I could!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

Hi Natalie

My husband and I had our first trip to Samoa last November and love the relaxed feel that Samoa offers, especially Savaii. We stayed at the airport lodge for our last night and found the accommodation suitable for an early flight home to Sydney. We also spent our first 4 nights at Savaii Lagoon Resort which is next door to Le Lagotto. We visited Le Lagotto for happy hour only as we preferred the choice at SLR which was a blackboard menu offering a choice of 2 entrees, 2 mains and a dessert, this changed daily depending on supply. In saying that I'm not sure what the children's menu consisted of at either resort as we were not travelling with children. I can provide you with a copy of the menu including their prices from Le Lagotto if you want me to send you a private message. I took a photo as I like to remember prices etc for future reference. As a previous poster stated there is a pizza shop across the road and you can visit Savaii Lagoon Resort for meals. The lagoon out the front is perfect for kids.

As Russ and Andrea said you may not need to stay at the airport lodge if Coconuts provide a transfer any time. But depending on your departure flight time and if you are hiring a vehicle and driving yourself you may not want to drive in the dark so I would stay at the airport lodge for your last night. This is what we did as we were staying at Seabreeze, had a hire car and had an early flight.

Edited: 4:13 am, April 04, 2014
kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

Samoa is perfect for a family holiday ! and your kids are at an awesome age to enjoy it all . I agree with lin_n_les that i prefer the food at savaii lagoon, but even if you are not staying you can go at about lunch time and book a table and choose your meal, there are only a few meal choices so every meal i have had at SLR has been fresh and tasty. I also love the pizza and i;m sure your kids will love a pizza picnic on the beach for lunch one day. just oder and then they will deliver (to your room or beach umbrella, its awesome, they are thin crust and really tasty) in my reviews of SLR you can see your pizza picnic . If you have room in your luggage and if the kids like noodles etc to swim with take these. You can always leave behind when you go home. I haven't eaten at the coconuts in years, so won't comment on that, but previously the menu was very extensive so i;m sure you will find something they like. also right next door to coconuts is a little local place "Lupes" where you can get a cheaper drink and meal. It doesn't look like much but it is nice and we have always enjoyed the food. Sinalei is a child free resort so unfortunately you won't be able to take the kids there.

How did you go with booking accommodation?

sue

6. Re: First family holiday to Samoa - does our plan seem ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Samoa