We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
117 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Those following my previous thread (namely debdestiny) will know I was considering staying at Sa'Moana for the Upolu part of our trip. (2A 1 2YO C)

Initially contact was great, but then had no contact for a few weeks before another manager got in touch, sent a couple of back and forth emails, then again no response as I'm trying to finalise the booking. I notice the last two reviews they have now are fairly damaging. Maybe I have made the wrong choice. We can't really afford Sinali Reef, Sea breeze doesn't take kids and coconuts also fairly pricy. The fales like Liti Sinai etc are probably too basic for us. Any other suggestions?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Hi Koizi,

Haven't seen any of your older posts, but just wondering if you've looked at Hideaway Resort if you're looking at that area.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Aww koizi, since you hadn't posted for a while I thought things must have been running smoothly. Have you checked out Aga Reef Resort (ignore any negative reviews as it's only opened in the past 6 months) - they are running a 50% opening special, not sure about kids policy either.

I agree that either Litia's or Taufua would be too basic but Taufua do have Mountain View Fales that overlook Lalomanu Beach. They are not your basic fales, more like units, have air con and hot water and great views over the ocean, just go to samoabeachfales.com and check them out. The only other place I can think of (I'm fast running out of options) is Le Uaina although their reviews haven't been crash hot lately either or as Russ suggested Samoa Hideaway Resort..

With Samoana don't just take into the latest reviews but go back a bit and see how good or scathing they are. All Samoan resorts (even the best) get bad reviews from time to time purely because peoples expectations are too high for a developing country.

Let me know how you go

Manuia le aso

Deb

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
843 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

I was going to suggest checking out aga reef as well, our friends were booked in for Sa'Moana and luckily on holiday she checked her emails, as she had received one from SaMoana saying they couldn't stay ( well they could if they were happy to stay amongst a building site ( not really appropriate considering they have young children) they were offered some free nights if they wished to come back another time or refund, they then looked at aga and ended up staying there and had a lovely time, I also stayed one night as I loved it! the food isn't cheap ( but I don't remember it being cheap at samoana either) they have a nice pool and only 10mins away from the stunning lalomanu beach, they owners will even take you there for the day if you want, they are really lovely and would do anything to help you enjoy your holiday.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
117 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Sorry for the delay in response guys, and thanks for the replies. For some reason hotmail has stopped informing me when new posts were added (I thought no one cared!)

Things with Sa'moana have settled and I am now back in regular contact. They have confirmed that they are still rebuilding, but expect everything to be sorted by our arrival in October. For the record when they do respond, it is with great detail and prompt. It just took some nagging on my part - which it shouldn't - but this time I'll give them benefit of the doubt due to the lack of other affordable options.

Regarding Aga Reef, I did have a look at that originally. My main concern, aside from the fact that they are new and still need to sort some things out, was the layout/setup - doesn't really look very 2 year old friendly with all the over water walkways and chain fences over rocky outcrops etc.

One final itinerary question though. We will now be going straight from airport on 16th October to Sa'moana and saving Apia for the last two nights only.

The question is should we extend out stay in Sa'moana (Upolu) to 4 nights, with 5 nights in Savaii Lagoon then 2 in Amanaki. OR should we keep the 3 nights in Sa'moana and extend Savai'i to 6, coming back for 2 in Apia?

The night in question is a Saturday (19th Oct) whether that has any impact? Both have availability.

Thanks for your continued help!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Malo koizi

We cared, I just thought the boss might have sorted everything out.

My personal opinion is to extend Savaii, do the 3 at Samoana and 2 at Amanaki which is plenty of time in Apia.

Others may not agree but I'm speaking from the heart not my head. Saturday shouldn't cause any probs. Great to know the probs with Samoana are ironed out as well and I appreciate your thoughts on Aga

Glad to see you back, the TA notification system does have the occasional glitches, even as a DE I need to check everyday because I don't always get notified.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Hi koizi

Hope u dont mind but I'd also heartily recommend spending longer in Savaii rather than Upolu for a family getaway. I've always been an Apia girl but in January we booked a 2 night stay at Savaii Lagoon & before the end of the first day we very quickly reorganised our plans to stay a further 5 days in Savaii. There's something about the place that rejuvenates you. 2 days in Apia is plenty to get your souvenirs in order, there isnt much else to do in town besides eating out.

Happy travels to you all,

L.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
117 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

You have both put forward a good case and have pretty much convinced me.

I was just worried we would be "rushed" to see some of the other beaches of Upolu such as Lolomanu etc.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Malo koizi

There are no such words as 'rush', 'hurry', or 'worry' in the Samoan language. Go with the flow and you'll get to see what you want. There are miracles of nature all over Samoa not necessarily mentioned as "must-sees"

Maybe practising living on island time now will make things move more smoothly for you, but, hey, you're an Aussie, most of us don't know what island time is let alone Samoa time although we're better at it than most of the western world.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Melbourne
Level Contributor
117 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

Well the good news for everyone on the forums is that the full itinerary is now locked in. 3 nights Sa'moana (communication is back to normal) 6 night Savai'i LR and 2 nights Amanaki.

I'll now let you all (in particular you Deb) have a rest from me until I have more questions closer to the trip.

Thanks again to the TA community to ongoing assistance!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not so sure about Sa'Moana anymore....

That's fantastic news koizi, congrats and what a relief for you, you'll be the one needing to give your brain a rest.

After all the work and research you've put in I truly hope Samoa exceeds your expectations.

Manuia le weekend

Deb

Get answers to your questions about Samoa