We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation help and general questions

Louisville KY
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation help and general questions

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are traveling to the Samoan islands here in less than a week and had a couple of last minute questions before we actually got to the island. We are staying for a total of 10 days. For the first night we are staying at the Airport Lodge due to our late arrival but then we will be staying Litia Sini Resort for the next 3 nights. Our next stay will be at Lynn's getaway accommodation for 3 nights and our final stay will be at the Savai'i Lagoon Resort for the final 3 nights. Just thought I'd give you a little info before I posted my questions.

1. What would be the best way to get from Airport Lodge to Litia Sini? And then from Litia Sini to Lynn's Getaway?

2. With that being said, when would be the best time to rent a car so we can see the entire island of Upolu?

3. We know we want to rent a car in Savai'i....and we do not know how far away the resort is from the ferry terminal (I.e. we don't know how much a taxi would cost). So...since we are planning on renting a car for a day, should we do that the first day we are there or wait until later in our stay?

4. How long is the ferry ride between islands? We have a departure flight at 3:30PM out of Apia and want to make sure we leave in enough time to make our flight.

5. Can we drink the water?

6. Do Samoan customs allow alcohol and tobacco (i.e. cigars) into the islands?

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation help and general questions

Hi, here's how I would go about your trip:

1. Hire a car on your first day and use it for the whole stay. A small car would set you back $100SAT/ day, at the current value of the USD that could be as little as $47USD/ day. Driving around Samoa is not so bad theres really only one main road on both islands and the speed limit is 25MPH. The pro's here are the freedom to come and go as you please, your car can be the secure place you stash your goods and u can take it frm Upolu to Savaii.

* catching a taxi frm the airport lodge to Litia's will set you back anywhere between $130-$160SAT, of course the bus is cheaper but more time consuming and can be slightly confusing on your very first day out.

Re: Q4- ferry ride is 40-50mins, usually travellers come back to Upolu the day before they fly out just in case the ferry isnt sailing bcos of bad weather

Q5: the water at Savaii Lagoon is UV treated and totally fine to drink, I drink the tap water in Apia and its fine, but must admit I buy bottled when going out to areas like where Litia's is

Q6: customs allows each traveller 2Ltrs alcohol and a single carton of smokes (I think its maybe 200 cigarettes??)

Hope you guys have an awesome trip!

L

Louisville KY
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation help and general questions

Wow! Thank you so much so much for the help. We've been in NZ for the past month and a half and this next trip quickly cought up to us.

I also had one other question that I hope someone could help with. What are the general customs for tipping? I.e. taxis and restaurants.

Auckland
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation help and general questions

There is no general custom for tipping. However, if you feel that you have received special attention or service, then it is up to you if you wish to give something personally. The hourly wage in Samon is extremely low, therefore anything you give as a tip will be greatly appreciated.:D

4. Re: Transportation help and general questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 27, 2014