We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some good tours to go on?

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What are some good tours to go on?

Hi,

We leave for Samoa in a week and I was wondering weather to book any tours before we get there or wait and see what is available. My boyfriend and I like snoorkelling and water sports and well as hiking . .Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
344 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

Hi MazC

I havent been on these tours but i have heard good things about the dive tours in savaii and the Manono cultural tour. You should check out the reviewer pages and some of the older threads from travellers who post up trip reports I've found many of them have good info and have helped me to plan my next trip

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

Malo lava

The best way to explore Samoa is to hire a car but if you'd rather do tours then the best are Samoa Scenic Tours (based at Aggie Grey's Hotel, Manoa Tours, Janes Tours and Travel and Polynesian Xplorer. Just google them for the details. On Savaii, Dive Savaii in the village of Fagamalo do some wonderful dive trips.

Have a wonderful time. Whereabouts are you staying?

Manuia le po (have a nice evening)

Deb

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

Thank you both!

We are planning to hire a car - what are some good spots to see Deb?

Also, I was thinking it might be nice to do a boat tour to see some places we can't access ourselves. Would you suggest we wait until we arrive to book or organise online beforehand?

Thanks for the advice :)

Marianne

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

Malo lava Marianne

Have you already booked the car and whereabouts are you staying? Even though it's the tail end of high tourist season it is a good idea to have the car booked in advance. Check out Samoana Rentals for the best deals, Blue Pacific Car Hire, Go Rentals, Island Rento and AA Rentals.

I don't think it'll be a problem waiting until you're there to check out boat tours. Have a look at Talofa Cruises, Samoa Adventures, AquaSamoa DiveSamoa, Offshore Adventures and Manoa Tours.

How long do you have in Samoa Marianne? There's so much to see on both islands but if you only have a limited time let me know and I can recommend the more "must sees"

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

Thank you Deb!

We are staying at Le Vasa Resort for 6 nights, I have enquired with a few rental companies and still awaiting a response. I think we will hire a car for the first 4 days to do some exploring and I guess we are hoping to get to some beautiful beaches and walking areas/lookouts etc.

Its also our anniversary on the Monday so a suggestion for a nice restaurant would be great too.

Really appreciate your help:)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

You're welcome Marianne

Happy anniversary, you've chosen the most romantic place in the world to spend it. The best restaurants are in Apia and I'd recommend either Paddles or Sails, both on the harbour with great views, just on opposite sides of the harbour. The Apia Yacht Club is quite good as well.

The best beach by far on Upolu is Lalomanu, up to a 2 hour+ drive from Le Vasa but great for swimming and snorkeling and very safe compared to others. It's here that you can pay 20 tala (that figure may have increased slightly) for a day fale and I believe you can have a drink and a meal at the bar/restaurant at Taufua Fales. You will be having a very authentic Samoan experience in the village of Lalomanu, it's quite acceptable to wander around and meet the villagers if you want. Le Vasa will also be able to make up a picnic lunch for you if you'd rather go that way. While you're at Lalomanu make your way further south and visit the amazing To Sua Trench and have a swim, if you dare!! Unfortunately none of the beaches in the north west where Le Vasa is are very good except for looking at!!! If you want to explore the more off the beaten track path then rather than heading south from Le Vasa go north and follow the road around the island, you'll get to see some stunning scenery rarely experienced by tourists.

Another idea for a day trip is to catch the boat to Manono Island, the heart of Polynesian culture. The wharf is at Manono-Uta about 5 mins away from Le Vasa. The boat trip over takes around 20 mins and you can walk around this beautiful island in around 2 hours. The feeling you get from visiting Manono will last a life time. They've only had electricity and running water for the last few years and some of the locals prefer to still live the old way. They are very welcoming people so don't be surprised if you are asked into a fale for a fresh coconut juice and a chat. There are no vehicles or animals on the island either.

To check out some other experiences you may want to do go to jasons.com/samoa (Things to see and do on Upolu) and you can pick and choose what you feel suits you best. Reception at Le Vasas should have detailed maps and guide books available for free.

I hope I've given you a few ideas Marianne

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sydney, New South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

WOW! You certainly have given us some great ideas Deb!

It sounds lovely, we are both very excited. Will definitelybe doing all of the above mentioned. .

Thanks so much for the advice and well wishes :) Can't wait!

Marianne

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

That's great Marianne. Please come back and let us know how it was.

Have a great anniversary.

Fa soifua

Deb

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

definitely hire a car. do not use Samoa

scenic tours. We did and were throughly ripped off and mislead. Check my review. We would have missed our flight if we hadnt changed samoa scenic tours ferry booking. Cost me two days stress, phone calls, time and $300. Be sure to hire a car from a rental place at airport to avoid fees. However, flat tyres are very common. Im not sure if it is a money making venture but seems rife in Apia.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are some good tours to go on?

Sorry poppnz but I've lived on and off in Samoa for the past 8 years and have used many rental car companies and have never had a flat tyre nor have I heard a great deal of complaints about it. Maybe you got a dud or 2 or maybe you didn't go with one of the reputable companies we recommend.

I hope it didn't ruin your time in Samoa

Fa soifua

Deb