We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a possible move

apia (hopefully)
2 posts
Save Topic
a possible move

Hello. It looks like i may be taking a job outside of Apia. I am in search of information on the cost of living. Would you suggest purchasing a car or motorbike? How much might they cost? What might a weekly budget consist of (groceries and a weekend adventure)? Would it be difficult to receive prescription drugs?

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions for someone possible moving to Samoa would be greatly appreciated. I am thrilled at the idea of living in a tropical paradise.

Thank you. Craig

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a possible move

Malo Craig

Lucky you - I'm jealous!

I can't really comment on those things, but I do suggest you find a user called Mareko (they have recently posted in the car rental thread) and maybe private message them via their profile. Mareko is a local and I am sure will be able to give you some information.

Best of luck with the move. You will likely find it challenging in some ways, but the rewards will far outweigh them!

Fa soifua

Tinz

Belgrade
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: a possible move

If you find some info, could you please post it here.

I am interested to go there for a few month.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a possible move

Hi, we lived in Samoa for three years while my husband worked in a bank there so I can try and give you some idea of costs. Using fans instead of aircon our electricity bill was about 300/350 tala mth, buying fruit and vege in the market is obviously cheaper than at the supermarket and most prices are displayed on bits of card so you know you are paying the same as most people. The supermarkets are getting better but you do have to shop around not only on prices but also as they carry different brands products etc. Imported food is a little more expensive to a lot more expensive than in NZ. most expats get a cost of living allowance to cover the differences in prices. Rents are about 1000-1200 tala mth for a 2 bedroom and some areas are better than others. (check the Samoa Observer or Samoa Realty online) up cross island road is good location wise and its not so hot at night. we also lived out at ululoloa which was a great location school wise but if i hadn't opened the windows by 10am i had to use a teatowel as the aluminium got so hot! the cost of petrol is increasing (just like everywhere else) but its still cheaper than in NZ. as for cars....there is about to be a huge change (read the Samoa Observer online) so maybe a bike would be better. be aware the roads are not in the best shape and samoan drivers are very relaxed with regard to road rules...the bigger vehicle always wins.....so you would have to be pretty confident on the motorbike. hope that helped. Definately go though we all loved it and just quietly I would have stayed!!

4. Re: a possible move

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 24, 2009